Horror film makers hope to cause a festival frightBy Pete Bryant
October 10, 2012
A HORROR movie set in locations across Guildford may have drawn strange looks during filming, but its makers are hoping for a more positive reaction at this year’s British Horror Film Festival at Leicester Square.
Art House Massacre, the work of the Falcon Productions team consisting of Martin Laurence, 33, his brother Steve, 31, from Cranleigh, and Ben Cannell, 27, from Bookham, will be screened for the first time at the Empire cinema on Saturday.
The film is the result of the trio’s hard work during which they have taken the film from initial concept to the big screen.
When the film was almost completed, Martin sought the opinion of actor Ben Loyd-Holmes, who had a part in the Band of Brothers series and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
“I decided to contact Ben earlier this year to see if he would give his thoughts on the film,” Martin said.
“He said he thought the film was on the line between a thriller and a horror and really we needed to go one way or the other, so we spent the next few months filming scenes with more gore.
“One guy, who was killed off-screen, we had to bring back and used a melon as his head, which gets splattered.”
Martin said the opening scene had been made far more shock-ing and guaranteed the film would make people jump.
The film was shot at several locations, including The Legion pub in Guildford and Birtley House nursing home in Bramley, as well as chase scenes in the High Street, Tunsgate and the castle car park.
Martin admitted that at the time the public had been baffled as to what was happening as the cast and crew filmed the scenes.
“We did get the odd strange glance during the chase scenes in Guildford as my shirt was covered in blood,” he said.
“When we were in Bookham, we also had a resident come out and ask what the hell was going on.”
Falcon Productions was created when Martin and Ben met at Guildford College in 2001, where they were studying Media.
Art House Massacre is the team’s first feature film, having previously produced around eight short films, and Martin described the decision to take on the ‘epic challenge’ as a cross road in their careers.
The film’s budget was raised by the film-makers themselves, and they hope to secure funding for their next feature film, which they are currently scripting.
Art House Massacre follows the plight of a woman who finds herself targeted by a mad artist who is hell-bent on turning her into his latest bloody masterpiece.
For more information, visit www.arthousemassacre.com.