A two-year-old girl remains in a coma in hospital after being hit by a car close to her home in Aldershot.

The girl, named as Tilly, was with her mother and grandmother on Belle Vue Road when she was hit by a car at around 10.20am on Sunday.

Neighbours came to the aid of the unconscious toddler, including a nurse who lived in the house next to where she lay, before paramedics arrived to continue her treatment for what were described as ‘serious injuries’.

Her father, who asked not to be named, described the support from the community in the days following the accident as ‘overwhelming’. He said Tilly remained in a coma and that the family is asking for privacy at this time.

The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance helicopter landed in a nearby industrial estate and flew the girl to Southampton General Hospital after she had been treated for around an hour on the pavement.

The male driver of the blue Peugeot 206 which hit her was not injured and Hampshire Constabulary has made no arrests. Neighbours said he stayed at the scene and appeared shaken.

Two ambulances and several police cars attended and Belle Vue Road was closed for four hours following the accident.

Cards from well-wishers have been placed on the gate outside Tilly’s home. One read: “Little Tilly, thinking of you every moment, hoping that every second that goes by you are getting better, not getting worse.”

Arron Jepp, who lives in Belle Vue Road described her as a ‘lovely young girl who never leaves her mum’s side’.

“It’s such a tragic accident,” he said. “Everyone was concerned and out of their houses to help and assist the emergency services in any way they could, our thoughts go out to the family and pray that she makes a full recovery.”

One of those who helped comfort Tilly was neighbour Mary Keet, who came outside when her son heard screaming.

She helped to keep the mother and grandmother calm and brought blankets outside to keep the child warm.

“She was unconscious for about five minutes,” she said. “Then she didn’t open her eyes or move her head but a sound came out of her mouth, like a moan. We just kept calling her name.

“It was a scary thing. It all happened so fast.”

Pernille Stickland, a friend and neighbour of the family, said she had come outside to comfort the mother, who went to be by her daughter’s side in hospital.

She said the road was often full of parked cars on a Sunday due to the nearby church, making visibility difficult for motorists.

“She knows so many people and everyone is there for her,” she added.

Valerie Wright, the nurse who helped care for Tilly, said everyone was praying for her recovery.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Whitchurch roads policing unit on 101, quoting ‘Operation Barfleur’.