BABY Megan Rajah is set to travel back to America for more complicated treatment following a delicate operation to remove a brain tumour.

The 21-month-old toddler came round from her potentially life-saving operation in New York on December 18 and was able to return home to Sale, near Manchester, in time to celebrate the new year.

It was a wonderful moment for her whole family, made possible by the incredible generosity of News readers.

You donated more than £6,000 in just a few weeks so that world-renowned surgeon Dr Patrick Kelly could carry out the delicate procedure to remove the tumour from near Megan's brain stem.

Without the operation — which no surgeon in this country would carry out — Megan would almost certainly have died.

Megan's grandparents, Doreen and Eric Tomkins, of Pierrefondes Avenue, Farnborough, joined parents Julie and Walter Rajah in New York immediately the £50,000 needed for the operation had been raised.

But now Walter and Julie, who is a former pupil of Mayfield Infant and Oak Farm secondary schools and of Farnborough Sixth Form College, will have to take Megan for more surgery in America.

"The further treatment that Megan is facing is very complicated," said Mrs Tomkins.

"She needs stem cell rescue where her good cells are frozen and the bad cells are blasted with strong chemotherapy. The operation has been done in this country but not many times.

"However, it has been done about 70 times at the hospital in New York so it looks like they will be going back for that.

"It also looks likely that Megan will have to go to Boston for radiotherapy treatment that will not stunt her growth or leave her brain damaged.

"The situation looks very positive as they give her a good chance. We are certainly a bigger step forward than we were before."

Mrs Tomkins also revealed that Mr Rajah may have to give up his job as a chemical engineer so that he can spend more time caring for Megan.

"Walter is seeing his boss to see what the situation is," said Mrs Tomkins, who also said Julie is expecting another baby in May.

"That will be a real blessing for them because they have been so positive all the way through this. It was a really tough time over in America where we all went through some real highs and lows.

"At one stage we weren't sure if Megan would come round from the operation but Dr Kelly did the very best he could and we are very grateful for that.

"She was in intensive care for three days after the operation.

"I stayed the night with Megan on Christmas Eve and she was up all night because she had a very high temperature.

"However, it was great when Santa Claus came in the ward and gave Megan a big teddy and a pop up story book — she loved them.

"Megan slept on my lap for the whole flight home — she was so beautiful. We've spoken to Julie and Walter every day since returning. Megan had her little friend round to stay for New Year's Eve. There's still a long way to go but she's doing really well."