Half of the newly refurbished store has been left gutted following the fire, which raged for more than two hours during the early morning of last Thursday.

Several of the 900 members of staff have been transferred to other stores while the clean-up is under way, but Tesco are keen to point out no jobs have been put at risk.

Yesterday supermarket chiefs announced Tesco would be closed for eight weeks while the store is rebuilt, although the petrol filling station has now been reopened.

Tesco spokesman Steve Gracey said: "We have 900 members of staff working at Tesco, but no jobs have been affected by the fire and none will be lost.

"Morale has been really high considering what happened. People have been coming back from their holidays to help in the clean up. At the time there was water everywhere and all the stock had to be taken out - there were people working round the clock.

"What has happened has strengthened the team and they are resolved to get the store open as soon as possible."

Mr Gracey said he was not in a position to discuss how much money had been lost in the fire or how much would be spent repairing the damage, however, it is believed to be in the millions.

In the meantime, police have launched a desperate appeal for witnesses as they continue to investigate the cause of the fire.

Thames Valley Police spokesman Anamika Madar said: "At this time investigations are still ongoing and we are still appealing for witnesses.

"Police are keen to speak to anyone who may have been in the area of Marshall Road or Laundry Lane or the Meadows Retail Park between 1.30am and 2am on Thursday, August 1."

Anyone with information can call the Windsor Helpdesk on (01753) 835555 or they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.