Hawley Green community area lies littered with booze bottles, syringes and pipes for smoking cannabis, and has fallen victim to vandalism in recent months.

Blackwater and Hawley Town Council says it is fighting a losing battle trying to keep the sports pitches and children's play area free of broken glass and syringes.

Town councillor Mick White said: "Every day we've got to clear up. It's a constant vigil for bottles and needles.

"Someone could slide on it and then the council is going to be in trouble."

He said he did not know where the youngsters came from, but said they were probably aged between ten and 16.

As well as under-age drinking and taking drugs, some of them have also resorted to vandalism.

"They've used the cricket ground for parties and damaged the screens. Also, we've had the posts of one of the football goals uprooted and they've removed the guttering from one of the buildings."

Mr White said he blamed the parents, saying they needed to be more responsible.

"They must be getting the money from somewhere to buy it and they must go home drunk or disorientated."

Mr White has written to Hampshire Police, who said the matter was being investigated, but he wants urgent action.

"My argument is it's drug-taking and under-age drinking, which is an offence.

"Letters are no good. We want action. We've been having this for the last three years and nothing has been done."

Hampshire Constabulary said it was taking the matter seriously.

Insp Steve Payne of Yateley Police said two police units were on hand to deal with the situation on Friday and Saturday nights.

"These officers will be supplied with a mobile phone and the numbers will be supplied to the main aggrieved parties for them to call us direct at the moment of any problems.

"This operation will come as and when resources are available until the problems of the behaviour of these youths affecting the quality of life for residents is stopped."

Last November vandals sprayed Hawley Memorial Hall in graffiti and the Scout hut was vandalised five times.

The clean-up operation for the hall cost £1,000 and more than £5,000 worth of damage was caused to the hut.