A total of 36 campaigners spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday carrying out their own traffic survey at Crookham crossroads and the Wyvern pub junction.
They found it was gridlock at peak times around the whole of the Queen Elizabeth Barracks, the planned site for the 1,100 homes.
The campaigners surveyed from 7.30am to 6.30pm on Monday and the peak times of 7.30-9.30am and 2.30-6.30pm on Tuesday and Wednesday.
“We are keen to ensure that we understand the traffic survey issue and are able to challenge any of the surveys that are presented to Hart Council if they are inaccurate,” said leading campaigner Jenny Radley.
She added: “People have given up their valuable time and effort to do this. Sitting there for two hours watching the traffic has highlighted just how bad the situation really is.
“The roads are clearly overloaded. We have only covered two junctions so far but you can see that Sandy Lane and Tweseldown Road are being used as cut-throughs.
“People watching the traffic at the Gally Hill Road junction with Aldershot Road have said it is an accident waiting to happen.
“The developers are saying that the Gurkhas had cars but the majority didn’t. There were about 700 of them here and most of them walked.
“I know that in the area bounded by the Wyvern, the Crookham crossroads and the Nokia building there are 550 homes. The brownfield site of the Queen Elizabeth Barracks is a slightly smaller area and they want to put twice as many homes on it.
“They need to decide a sensible number of houses for the site.
“We have to come up with the statistics to show there is an issue here.
“The roads are already overloaded without building any more homes.”
Campaigners said they were heartened that at the latest Hart Council cabinet meeting newly-elected council leader Lorraine Fullbrook gave a detailed list of issues which need to be resolved before the matter goes before full council.
She warned there had been 700 responses to the consultation on the draft development brief on traffic concerns and called for safe cycling and pedestrian routes to the town centre and local schools.
Cllr Fullbrook pointed out that education provision in the draft development brief was currently vague and it needed the county council to submit current and future plans for primary and secondary school provision.
She said the developer must prove the new minitown will not harm the proposed Special Protection Area (pSPA) for rare birds and pointed out that the Public Safety Zone (PSZ) for Farnborough Airfield crosses part of the minitown site.
Cllr Fullbrook said the Department for Transport must draw up the formal PSZ for the western end of the main runway and Hart Council must not give planning consent until an undisputed PSZ is defined.
She also said the moving of reptiles from the site must be stopped as it is disrupting the nature of the site and called for a management plan and nature and environment survey, with all costs to be met by the developer.
Cllr Fullbrook pointed out that the section DEV 2 of Hart’s Local Plan states only 550 homes should be built for the present plan period, and any more will contradict the council’s development blueprint.
All the issues will now be discussed by Hart’s QEB Working Party Committee, which will come up with a full report and possible proposals before the matter goes to full council.
Mrs Radley and her friend Soo James, who organised a public meeting about the minitown plan in February which was attended by about 500 people, will highlight their case to Fleet MP James Arbuthnot during his surgery in Fleet today (Friday).