Charles King, 81, who was severely disabled as a result of the stroke, was a resident at Manor House Nursing Home.

His movement was severely restricted and he spent the majority of his time lying down as a result.

A coroner’s court at Alton heard care assistant Matthew Sunir was feeding Mr King on the day he died.

He had worked at the home for six months and had fed Mr King several times before.

Mr Sunir said: “He would normally have mince and vegetables or mashed potato. I had fed him several times in the past and he would open his mouth when ready for food, swallow it and then open his mouth when he was ready for more.”

Mr Sunir said he gave Mr King a spoonful of food and waited for him to open his mouth again before giving him a second spoonful.

Then Mr Sunir realised Mr King was experiencing some difficulty.

He said: “He wasn’t opening his mouth. I saw his face and he was sweating. My friend was in the room and I sent him to get the manager. She came and gave him first aid.”

Jacky Sylvester, the registered nursing manager at Manor House, told the inquest she checked for a pulse but could not detect anything.

She said: “I lifted him forward and gave him two sharp slaps on the back because I could see evidence of food around his mouth and felt that he was choking. There was no response from him at all.”

Mrs Sylvester said attempts to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre were unsuccessful.

Conscious that other residents were witnessing the distressing sight, Mrs Sylvester took Mr King in a wheelchair to a different room where she again checked for a pulse.

She said: “There was nothing whatsoever present.

I remained with the other staff and Charles for ten minutes before the decision was made that there was no other action we could take for him, and the decision was made to declare him dead.”

Frimley Park Hospital pathologist Dr Chris Smith, who carried out the post mortem, confirmed food was found within the larynx and windpipe. No food was found within the stomach.

He drew the conclusion that Mr King was suffocated by the food lodged in his throat.

North-East Hampshire coroner Andrew Bradley said: “It’s quite apparent that he inhales that (first spoonful of food) and in the course of inhaling that is given a second spoonful of food which forms a ball of food at the back of the throat.

“What’s odd is that in these cases someone would expect some kind of gagging, of coughing, but that did not happen.

“I have no doubt he died of asphyxiation.”

Mr Bradley expressed his concern at reports from family members that staff at the home had never discussed with them whether to resuscitate Mr King.

Mr Bradley recorded a verdict of misadventure.

A spokesman for Manor House Nursing Home said on Friday: “It is the case that lots of conversations were held with Mr King’s wife in the early days after he entered the home. It was her wishes that he should not be resuscitated.”