Demand for the biggest game in the small club’s history was so great that the queue to the clubhouse snaked for as far as the eye could see down Cherrywood Road on Tuesday morning.

Now many fans are angry at the way the club has handled the ticketing of the big match and have vowed never to watch Boro again.

Many were turned away at 1pm having been told that all 5,235 tickets had been snapped up, only three hours after they went on general sale.

They were left to fight it out on the phone in the hope of getting one of 1,000 further tickets made available through online ticket company Ticketmaster yesterday (Thursday).

“I think it is a disgrace,” said Keith Boyd, who takes his two sons to every Farnborough home game.

“I queued from 9am until 1pm only to be told that there were no more tickets available. I’d like to know where all of these tickets have gone.”

The eagerly awaited ticket details were announced last Friday with the news that tickets would be limited to four per person.

Season ticket holders had their tickets reserved, while supporters club members and fans who travelled to Darlington in the last round were able to buy their tickets on Monday.

The remaining 1,500 tickets went on general sale on Tuesday, with fans queuing from the early hours in the hope of getting in to the big match. The club originally planned to sell tickets on Wednesday as well.

Any left unsold would then have been passed on to Ticketmaster.

The decision to give priority to the 400 supporters who made the long trip to the north east was not in dispute. But some fans questioned the decision to allow them to buy four each, leaving many other loyal supporters disappointed.

Tony Dyne, from Blackwater, said: “I went to the West Ham game ten years ago. I think this is an absolute disgrace though. I queued for four hours in the cold only to be turned away.

“There were disabled people in that queue — and I know that they are not all fans but they are the local community.

“There is other good local football to go and see though, so perhaps I may not be going back there for a while.”

Spencer Rossiter, who has lived in the town all his life, said he was very angry and claimed the club had not shown common sense or courtesy.

“People like myself were left for several hours when the people distributing the tickets knew very early in the day that demand for tickets far outweighed availability.

“It should have been the duty of the club to make an announcement very early in the day that people could be disappointed.”

Mr Rossiter also criticised the club’s organisation, with only one woman in the ticket office taking money and handing out the tickets.

“The staffing they had was woefully inadequate to provide such a demand. I estimate that my queuing time would have been over four hours should I have made it inside the building.

“It saddens me to say that I will never again support the club after the way they have treated their fans.”

Hugh Foster was similarly enraged that those in the queue were not given any warning that tickets were at a premium.

“I was there for over three hours and there must have been almost 600 people behind me when we were told there were none left.

“It would only have required a little bit of effort from someone at the club because it was very cold.”

Club football secretary, Vince Williams, sympathised with those fans unable to see the biggest game in the club’s history.

“As far as we are concerned we have allocated the tickets as fairly as we could.

“It was always going to be difficult and I realise that many people who did not get a ticket will be disappointed, and that is why we made around 1,000 more tickets available.”