FRIGHTENED residents were evacuated from a Camberley old folks' home in their night-clothes after a lighted firework was pushed through the letterbox.

They were woken up by the noise of the "banger" exploding, and were ushered to safety by the warden as the reception area filled with smoke.

A Camberley fire crew checked the area before allowing the residents to return to their homes.

Police press officer Judy Williams, who declined to reveal the name of the home, said: "This was a dangerous and foolish incident, and not a prank. It could have caused injury or even loss of life, especially given that this was an elderly people's home."

Shortly after the incident at 1am on Tuesday, police arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of causing arson with intent to endanger life. He was released on police bail.