How we use Cookies

Garage and home damaged in fire caused by tumble dryer

A garage and part of the adjoining house have suffered substantial damage following a blaze in Giffard Drive in Farnborough

A garage fire in Farnborough caused substantial damage as the flames spread to the adjoining house, just hours before a scheduled firefighters strike.

Fire crews raced to the house in Giffard Drive at just after 10am on Friday December 13, where the fire had spread from the garage to the kitchen of the house and up to the first floor window above.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a tumble dryer in the garage, but further investigations will be carried out.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the garage had been completely destroyed by fire and heat, while the house had suffered 20% damage.

Breathing apparatus was used by firefighters as they extinguished the fire.

The Fire Brigades Union announced two more strikes - the fifth and sixth since September - on December 13 and 14 between 6pm and 10pm.

The action is over proposed changes to firefighters' pension arrangements that would see them retire later and make higher contributions.

 

Journalists

Pete Bryant
Chief Reporter (Aldershot)
Laura Nightingale
Yateley Reporter
Natalie Garland
Farnborough Reporter
Jon Couch
Sport Editor
Fergus McEwan
Community & Schools Editor
Stephen Lloyd
Fleet Reporter
Ros Collins
Junior News & Mail
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area