Martin Long, of Morland Road in Aldershot, died of alcohol poisoning after attending a 16th birthday party at Aldershot Cricket Club in Guildford Road.

Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, Coroner Andrew Bradley said: “It is of great public concern for a party to be going on with alcohol being sold indis-criminately to children.

“We don’t know how much he bought but the club was supplying it and it was drunk by Martin.”

He said all 16-year-olds were vulnerable and it was important to prevent anything like it happening again, adding: “I will be taking this up with the chairman of the licensing bench and the local authority.”

Statements from Martin’s friends, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were read out at the inquest in Basingstoke on Tuesday.

They explained that they had been drinking before they arrived at the birthday disco on February 7 after being invited by a group of girls.

Martin collapsed and fell unconscious in the toilets. He was rushed to Frimley Park Hospital with severe alcohol poisoning and put on a life support machine.

He never regained consciousness and three days later the machine was switched off.

Mr Bradley said post-mortem reports showed Martin had suffered severe brain damage and had drunk three and a half times more than the legal driving limit of alcohol.

Witness A said everyone had been dancing and having a good time: “We had had a couple of drinks. We were tipsy but not falling over. We were having a laugh.”

He said they were in the toilets when Martin suddenly keeled over.

“I thought he was behind me. Then I heard a thud as I heard the toilet door. He was on the floor lying on his back. I held his arms but he seemed all floppy.”

Witness B described Martin as “very drunk but happy” and described a conversation with him in the toilets earlier that night.

“I saw him with a bottle of absinth in his hand and asked him if that was his and he said yes. He said it was empty and jokingly threw it over his shoulder and it smashed.”

He said he last saw Martin returning to the party before seeing him later after he collapsed.

Witness C said he saw Martin staggering about before finding him lying on the floor of the toilets.

“I thought he’d fallen over because he was drunk. I tried to feel a pulse but couldn’t find anything. I put him in the recovery position and started to shout because there was no pulse. His colour changed to grey.”

He then went on to describe the chaos when adults moved Martin’s body outside to the front of the pavilion.

“The ambulance crew had problems getting to him. There were lots of people in the way and they were very upset.”

Paul Hamilton of the Surrey Ambulance Service said he felt threatened when he arrived at the scene.

He said nobody was in control to tell him what had happened, and although there was a group of 15 youths standing over Martin no-one was tending to him.

Mr Hamilton added: “The people were swearing and being verbally abusive. I asked them to get out the way and they wouldn’t. I was then hit and punched in the face and was pushed and jostled.”

He said the crew had no choice but to get Martin into the ambulance and drive him up the road.

Addressing Martin’s family, Mr Bradley added: “Nothing is going to replace Martin but hopefully we can put something in place to make you feel better.”

Mr Bradley, who was told that Mr Hamilton suffered an injured retina when he was attacked, also condemned the hostility shown towards the ambulance crew.