A CORONER is to investigate claims that an ambulance took 45 minutes to attend a fatal road crash.

Geoffrey Peter Clark died after his car spun out of control and hit trees on the A30 between Hartley Wintney and Murrell Green.

But witness Amanda Hirst expressed concern at the ambulance response time during an inquest into Mr Clark’s death on Tuesday.

“It just seemed to be an interminable time for the ambulance to arrive,” said Miss Hirst, who is qualified to carry out first aid.

“I saw the accident at about 2.45pm, the fire engine came at about 3.25pm and the ambulance at 3.30pm.

“The ambulance did seem to take a long time. When I did my first aid training I was told that sometimes you have to ring the ambulance a number of times because they have an order of priority.

“I rang a second time to let them know he was going into shock and needed help fast.”

North-East Hampshire coroner Andrew Bradley told Miss Hirst: “I will look into this because it causes me some concern and I will let you know what I find.

“I will take it up with the ambulance authority and get an answer to your question.”

Mr Bradley also mentioned the response times in his summing up.

“I am concerned that the ambulance did seem to take a considerable amount of time to arrive,” he said.

“I always inquire in these cases about response times. When I get that explanation for the delay I will send it to the family.

“If the ambulance authority is not responding in time we need to know about it.”

Mr Clark died of multiple injuries after his car spun out of control just past the Coach House Garden Centre in London Road on November 1.

Sharon Fowler said she followed Mr Clark’s Vauxhall Senator in driving rain through Hartley Wintney towards Murrell Green.

“Suddenly the car in front spun out of control and went across my path,” she said.

“It spun across the road and went into the grass verge.”

Parcel delivery driver David Rollins, who drives about 50,000 miles a year, was also behind Mr Clark on the A30.

He said he had his windscreen wipers on the highest speed because of the dense spray and had dipped headlights on because it was quite dark even though it was about 2.35pm.

“Suddenly I saw a white flash,” said Mr Rollins. “It was just a white blur in the distance.

“A car was coming towards me but turning in the road. At first I thought it had been travelling in the other direction.

“It drove straight off the road and into a ditch.”

Miss Hirst, who was travelling in the opposite direction to Mr Clark, said she was only travelling at between 40 and 45mph because there were some large puddles on the road.

She said she saw Mr Clark’s car shoot up in the air, roll and spin.

Miss Hirst rushed over to the crashed car and advised Mr Clark to stay still because she could see his right leg was severely injured, but he tried to move.

“When the ambulance arrived he was in deep shock,” said Miss Hirst.

Vehicle examiner Nigel May said there was nothing about the car which could have caused the accident.

Police accident investigator Stephen Hoynes said he could not be sure why Mr Clark, who lived in Southampton, lost control of his car.

But he did say that he had driven the same make of car for several years while on traffic patrol.

“They have been known, even by advanced traffic officers, for the back end to lose control if too much acceleration is applied in very wet conditions,” said Pc Hoynes.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Bradley said he could not be sure why Mr Clark lost control.

“However, nothing was going to help Mr Clark after the crash because he was effectively dying at that point.”