A mother is campaigning for play equipment to be removed from a park after her daughter broke her leg on a seesaw.

Six-year-old Ruby Taylor from Yateley returned to school this week in a wheelchair after her leg was crushed on the seesaw in Yateley Green, Reading Road.

Following the incident, the seesaw was cordoned off.

However, much to the disgust of Ruby’s parents, it has now been reopened and children are free to use it once more.

Samantha Taylor, Ruby’s mum, said: “Ruby’s leg was facing the wrong way.

“It was literally snapped in two. It was horrific.

“People need to know how awful this seesaw is. It really upsets me, seeing other children on it. I can see it injuring another child.”

At the time of the accident, on August 21, Yateley Town Council, which owns the play area, had to open the access gate to the park to allow two ambulances onto the field.

Mrs Taylor and her husband Stuart were both present and close by when it happened.

Ruby sustained a compound fracture of her left tibula and fibula after being swept under the red rotating seesaw.

She had emergency surgery at Frimley Park Hospital that night to pin and plate her leg back together.

Mrs Taylor said: “The story has generated a fair amount of interest on Facebook with people wondering why there has not been a full health and safety investigation before this equipment was reopened.

“Many people have expressed concern that they already thought this piece of equipment was unsafe as it swings fast, is very heavy and in an open area with no fencing and the tyre seats hit the ground with great force, which is essentially how my daughters leg was crushed.

“The wheel of the seesaw should not hit the floor at all.”

Yateley Town Council owns and maintains Yateley Green, which includes the woodland areas to the north and grassy areas around Tindal Close and Church End.

A spokesman said: “Following the accident, the piece of play equipment was immediately fenced off, pending an inspection by our grounds maintenance contractor’s health and safety manager.

“The inspection was carried out on Friday morning and the equipment was tested by operating the equipment and making a thorough examination.

“The conclusion was that there was no serious wear or faulty features which could have contributed to a child’s injury.

“We, therefore, reopened the equipment on Friday afternoon.”