THE parents of one of the soldiers found shot dead at an Army barracks in Deepcut have met a government minister to ask for a public inquiry into their son's death.
Geoff and Diane Gray have forced police to reopen their investigation into the death of their son, Pte Geoff Gray, 17, who was killed last September while on guard duty at the Princess Royal Barracks.
The initial investigation carried out by the Royal Military Police led to an open verdict at the inquest, despite the Army insisting that he had committed suicide.
But Pte Gray's parents are unhappy with the investigation because he suffered two gunshot wounds to the head, each of which would have proved fatal.
The Grays cannot understand how their son could have shot himself, sustaining a fatal wound, before shooting himself again, and even believe he may have been murdered.
They believe that a public inquiry is the only way they will get to the truth, and were hoping Dr Lewis Moonie, junior defence minister, would give them his support when they met him on May 15.
"We've got backing from over 100 MPs, including our own in Hackney," said Mr Gray. "I'm pretty sure they'll say no to the public inquiry until the police investigation is over, but we're not just talking about Geoff, there are four of them now. It's sinister."
Pte James Collinson was the latest to be found shot dead at the same barracks in March this year.
And police have revealed that they are aware of two other potentially suspicious deaths of young soldiers at the Deepcut barracks in 1995.
It was reported that the Army classified both deaths as "intentional and self-inflicted".
In a moving statement before the May 15 meeting, Mr Gray, who believes his son was murdered, said he now regrets having his son cremated in case it has destroyed vital clues to the circumstances surrounding his death.
"I think now it could have been a bad move," he said.
"Something has gone really wrong down there. Geoff's investigation wasn't carried out properly the first time. When we viewed the body, we saw that he had two bright red lines around his neck, and a black eye, but at the inquest the pathologist said he had no record of bruising."
Mr Gray added that he and his wife had been in close contact with the family of James Collinson and were offering them advice and support.
In a five-hour meeting with Surrey Police, Mr Gray said he was told that a new profile of Geoff had been drawn up and that they were following several new lines of inquiry.
"We're over the moon that his death is being reinvestigated, and the police have been marvellous this time," he continued.
"But my family shouldn't have had to get up and shout about it to get something done."