A WAR hero who was shot in the leg in the battle of Goose Green in the Falklands has been jailed for 90 days for a string of driving offences.

James Street, 46, of Rock Gardens, Aldershot, admitted driving twice while disqualified and without insurance, and failing to turn up for a previous court hearing.

Fiona McMurray, prosecuting, told Aldershot magistrates that Street had been due to appear in August to answer the first charge of driving while disqualified, possession of cannabis, driving without insurance and drink driving.

He had been arrested on July 29 last year as he drove a blue Vauxhall Carlton along Wellington Avenue and Ordnance Road, Aldershot.

Police found 3.2 grammes of cannabis and he was two-and-a-half times the drinks limit.

A warrant was issued for his arrest when he failed to turn up in court.

Yet Street was not picked up until Wednesday January 15 when police stopped him for not wearing a seat belt outside Tesco in Aldershot.

They quickly established he was driving while banned and there was a warrant outstanding for his arrest.

Street had been banned from driving for three years in March 2002, and he admitted all six offences at Aldershot Court last week.

Chris Hill, defending, said Street is a man who has several problems.

He said: “He has a drink problem and suffers from several phobias, and he is fully aware that he is in a serious position.

“He was in 2Bn The Parachute Regiment at Aldershot for 15 years and served in Northern Ireland, the Falklands war and was at the Battle of Goose Green.

“He was shot at Goose Green, receiving a bullet wound to his leg, and is now 40% disabled and receives a war pension.”

Mr Hill went on to describe how Street lay in a ditch surrounded by dead bodies for 26 hours after being shot, and now suffers from depression as a result.

“He often binge drinks,” he said “and this probably led to him driving the car. He is a potentially dangerous man.”

Mr Hill urged magistrates to think carefully before sentencing Street, adding: “He needs a lot of help for his various problems.”

After deliberation, the magistrates sentenced Street to three months in prison.

Court chairman Tony Drake said: “We are imposing a 90 day sentence as of today, and nothing can dissuade us from this decision.

“These offences show a blatant and persistent disregard for past court orders, although we have given you credit for your early guilty plea and cut the sentence from 120 days.

“I also order the destruction of the cannabis resin and disqualify you from driving for a further three years.”