Posts on Facebook about wanting to 'batter' Muslims led to David John Lane being charged
A former soldier from Aldershot has admitted responsibility for a series of religious rants following the death of Drummer Lee Rigby.
David John Lane posted a comment on social networking site Facebook stating he wanted to drag a male Muslim into the street and batter him to within an inch of his life, Aldershot Magistrates’ Court heard on August 15.
The 46-year-old admitted intending to cause any person religiously aggravated harassment, alarm or distress.
Merenda Beckley, prosecuting, said the charge came as a result of a series of Facebook posts by Lane from his Brighton Road home between May 23 and June 1.
She said the posts were in response to the killing of 25-year-old Drummer Rigby, who was killed in broad daylight near Woolwich barracks in south east London on May 22. Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale have been charged with his murder and are due to stand trial on November 18.
Drummer Rigby served in Afghanistan as a machine gunner and was attached to the regimental recruiting team when he was killed.
His murder sparked nationwide shock and revulsion and led to an outpouring of public support for his family.
Miss Beckley said Lane’s Facebook comments included ‘dirty Muslim scum should have been shot dead’ and ‘hope he gets a battering’ while a suspect was in hospital.
Lane posted that he was proud to say he served Queen and country and was British, adding Britain was a proud nation that should stand up when someone is murdered in the streets by ‘Muslin scum’.
Lane said mosques should be torn down and replaced by schools and hospitals. He added “Muslims are not wanted here” and said his right wing past was stronger than before.
Lane was interviewed by police and admitted the Facebook account belonged to him.
He added he used to be in the Army and drummed with Lee Rigby during a St George’s Day parade last year.
Lane told police he was angry that news reports only called the accused ‘suspects’ rather than ‘murderers’ which led him to vent his anger on Facebook.
He added he was previously a member of Combat 18 but, although he had never attended any marches, he said he still had a liking for the neo-Nazi organisation and said he would never give up his right wing views.
Lane told police he was aware that anybody could access the content of his Facebook page but he did not know how to change the privacy settings.
He added he joined the Army in 1983 and was a Fusilier until 2000, serving in such places as Northern Ireland, London and Cyprus.
Lane said he later worked as a security guard and a chef.
He told police he had been in the same regiment as Lee Rigby and had been out drinking with him and other members of the regiment.
After hearing the evidence, district judge Philip Gillibrand ordered an all-options pre-sentence report.
He said his provisional view was that the matter could be dealt with in the magistrates’ court but said he would not rule out a committal for sentence to the crown court for a more severe punishment.
Lane will be sentenced at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on September 5 and he was granted unconditional bail until then.