Noise barriers were supposed to be put up between junction 4 and 4a of the motorway to give Farnborough residents some relief from the continuous roar of traffic.

Work began on the project in 2000 but the scheme ground to a halt when doubts were raised over whether money was available to finish the work.

Last year residents and councillors were outraged when approximately half of the £5million earmarked for the barriers was taken away for other schemes, which the government considered a higher priority.

Now councillors want answers about what happened to the promised noise barriers.

At a meeting of the environment panel, held on Tuesday evening, Cllr Rosemary Possee requested that environmental health services put together a report on the noise levels and the effectiveness of the barriers which have already been installed.

The report will also put forward options the council could take to secure the completion of the work.

Cllr Possee said on Wednesday: “I think we really need some sensible answers.

“I don’t mind whether it is through barriers or one of these new silent road surfaces, which would also be expensive, as long as we get some good answers.

“The officers will come back to the next meeting with the report which can them go to the cabinet and be used to lobby the government.

“Some of the cabinet, particularly Alan Ferrier and John Marsh, have been trying very hard to get something done.”

Concerns have also been raised over the quality of noise barrier work carried out on the north side of the motorway.

Councillor Ken Muschamp, who represents affected residents in Fernhill Ward, is sceptical about the quality of work carried out so far.

He said: “Sound surveys were carried out in the back gardens of residents living next to the motorway and the levels coming out showed no improvement by putting the barriers there.

“Therefore those figures were made available to the contractor for them to go away and do a reassessment of their calculations. That was around August last year but we have heard nothing back about what their reassessment has found.

“We prod them probably every six to eight weeks but we don’t get any feedback.”

Cllr Muschamp also hopes the council will look at alternative noise reduction measures.

He said: “We should also be looking at the different road surfaces that are available.

“While we still rely on government funding for this it comes from a different budget.

“There is also a programme to carry out the resurfacing of the motorway and we could fight our cause by saying it would save money, as the barriers would not be needed. Hopefully this would get it done sooner rather than later.”

Council officers will be collating the information already available and looking at surveys which should provide the evidence that action is needed.

The report will be put to councillors at the next meeting of the environment panel on May 27.

Campaigners had been battling for action for ten years prior to the Highway Agency survey of the nation’s roads.

MP Gerald Howarth was told in September 2000 that the acoustic noise barriers would be built.

The project first hit delays when constructors experienced building problems.

This was followed by the agreed funding being taken back by central government.