A mother has spoken of her continuing grief with the possibility of the death of her daughter being re-examined.

Kelly Stowe, 30, from Yateley, died on August 22 last year from what a coroner ruled was an “acute viral infection of an unknown cause”.

Since the inquest, held at Woking Coroner’s Court on March 21, Kelly’s mother Joy Stowe, posed questions of Frimley Park Hospital as she felt they had not been answered satisfactorily at the hearing.

In reviewing Kelly’s case, it has become apparent that her blood results were recorded incorrectly.

Her white cell count of four was in fact lower at just 1.8 – a critically low count that may have influenced the decision on her being discharged from hospital – Dr Timothy Ho, medical director at the hospital has said.

Mrs Stowe, also from Yateley, said: “In some ways, I know I was right as a mum. I know she was sick, but that is not going to bring her back.

“I really did not think she should have been allowed to go home. I know evidence comes to light after investigations but this was there in the first place.”

The inquest, chaired by Dr Karen Henderson, heard that Kelly was admitted to Frimley Park Hospital on August 10 after suffering with a fever and high temperature.

While in hospital she complained of back pain and said she was itching and her face was sore. As she had been treated for a urinary tract infection her family suspected she could have been allergic to the antibiotics prescribed.

She was diagnosed with pyelonephritis, a form of kidney infection, and given treatment.

Kelly was discharged on August 12, as doctors believed she had recovered. However her condition soon started to worsen.

She was readmitted on August 18 with sepsis – a life-threatening condition triggered by infection – and despite intensive care treatment she died four days later.

“At the time of the inquest it was terrible, absolutely dreadful,” said 56-year-old Mrs Stowe.

“I was so distraught and felt frustrated because I knew deep down there was an underlying problem.

“I just wanted to shout.”

But she said what she is going through now is worse and she dreads the possibility of Kelly’s inquest re-opening.

“I am so angry and frustrated. My daughter is not here any more,” she said.

Having done a lot of research into sepsis since her daughter’s death, Mrs Stowe is now a supporter of The UK Sepsis Trust and wants to raise awareness of the work it does.

The charity provides support to patients and their relatives, including those bereaved by sepsis and educates health professionals in the importance of early sepsis recognition.

On behalf of the hospital, Dr Ho has written to Mrs Stowe and the coroner explaining the error.

The coroner’s office declined to comment on the likelihood of a fresh inquest being held as Dr Henderson was unavailable.