How we use Cookies

Two horses die after fire at Yateley stables block

It is understood the fire broke out after a hot disposable barbecue was put in a wheelie bin

Two horses have died after a fire caused by a disposable barbecue gutted stables at a farm in Yateley.

Around 45 firefighters tackled the blaze, which destroyed 20 stables at Cottage Farm in Cobbetts Lane last Friday night (April 18).

It is believed 40 horses were rescued unharmed from the fire. However, one of the animals which was rescued by firefighters died a couple of days later due to smoke inhalation.

Another horse, which the owner had rescued before fire crews arrived, suffered 60% burns and had to be put down.

Stables fire at Cottage Farm, Yateley
 

Danny Randall, the officer in charge at Yateley fire station, described the incident as “very sad” and “devastating” for the owner.

It is understood the fire broke out after a hot disposable barbecue was put in a wheelie bin.

Due to the high winds on Friday evening, gusts fanned through the stables block and flames were spread to the timbered buildings.

Joe Kaley, who lives in Cobbetts Lane, said: “There was a lot of flames. From here it looked like the house was on fire. It was huge.

“It was like 20-foot flames. There was a lot of smoke.”

The owner of the farm did not wish to comment.

 

Journalists

Pete Bryant
Chief Reporter (Aldershot)
Laura Nightingale
Yateley Reporter
Natalie Garland
Farnborough Reporter
Jon Couch
Sport Editor
Fergus McEwan
Community & Schools Editor
Stephen Lloyd
Fleet Reporter
Ros Collins
Junior News & Mail
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area