Two men have been found guilty of inflicting serious injuries on an older man who was walking home from the pub in Yateley.

Luigi Bergonzi-Piner, 19, and Joshua Francis, 29, both from Eversley, Ricardo Stocchetti, 18, from Yateley, and Charlie Hearmon, also 18, all denied charges of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent and inflicting GBH with intent after Terry Phillips was beaten to the ground, resulting in a fracture to his eye socket.

During a 12-day trial at Winchester Crown Court, a jury heard that Mr Phillips was attacked while walking home from the Dog and Partridge pub on October 13, 2012.

Delivering a verdict on Friday April 4, the jury found Francis, of Westwood, and Stocchetti, of Dumas Close, guilty of inflicting GBH with intent but not guilty of causing GBH.

Hearmon, of Kingston Close in Andover, and Bergonzi-Piner, of Sherlock Lea, were found not guilty of both charges.

The trial began on Monday March 24 when prosecutor Dawn Hyland told jurors that Mr Phillips left the pub around 12.45am and began walking home along Hall Lane with a friend.

His friend turned off at Home Park Road and Mr Phillips continued and passed a group of young men.

Miss Hyland said a comment was made towards Mr Phillips and as he responded Francis came towards him with a puffed-up chest, causing him to feel threatened and push him away.

Mr Phillips was then beaten to the floor and left lying on the ground.

Mr Phillips got to his feet and began to follow the men and, as he was walking to catch up, he called the police and a second fight broke out.

A statement from Bergonzi-Piner, read out during the trial by PC Louise Perrior, said he had been trying to get into a party with a group of friends when Mr Phillips walked past them and made a comment towards one of his friends.

He said a verbal argument broke out and Mr Phillips walked up to his friend and grabbed him by the throat, causing him to hit Mr Phillips ‘in self defence’.

The statement said: “My friends and I decided to intervene because we were concerned it was getting out of hand.

“The man kept shouting ‘come on, is that all you’ve got.’

“We took off down Home Park Road and the man still followed us and he ran up to [Francis] and attacked him again.

“I did not punch [Mr Phillips] or get involved with assaulting him."

Francis and Stocchetti will be sentenced on May 23.