How we use Cookies

Used needle angers mother

A MOTHER of three is warning parents to be on guard after a used syringe was dumped outside her front garden.

A MOTHER of three is warning parents to be on guard after a used syringe was dumped outside her front garden.

Janice Skinner was horrified when her partner Hugh Cordner found the needle by their wheelie bin in Wickham Road, Church Crookham.

"Hugh just found it lying on the ground," said Mrs Skinner. "He picked it up and brought it in to show me.

"It was still full of blood and I was nearly physically sick because I was eating my breakfast. I telephoned the police and they just told me to dispose of it.

"I said I had nowhere to put it so they said to bring it up to them.

"They said that's the problem with junkies — they just don't dispose of their needles properly.

"I also found two cans of strong lager in our bin which weren't ours and my son found some Rizla papers, so it all points to one thing.

"I think someone tried to put the syringe in the bin but they were too far gone and missed it.

"Lots of children walk up and down this road. If one of them had picked it up and stabbed someone with it goodness knows what could have happened.

"It was lucky my partner found it before any toddler.

"I have warned the neighbours and we're all fuming that this has been found.

"It's got to the stage where we will have to start checking our gardens before we can let the children out.

"There are some garages by the side of our house that are full of rubbish and it would not surprise me it they are being used as a drugs den."

Mrs Skinner added that she was also shocked when her 12-year-old son Kieran found a machete in her garden last summer.

"I was sitting in the front room when I looked out and saw him swinging a knife in the air.

"I asked him where he got it and he said he found it in a bush by the side of the house.

"I'm just terrified of what we will find next."

Sgt Karen McManus said: "Thankfully it is very rare for anyone to find needles in the area, although I understand it must have been worrying for the parents involved in this incident.

"If anyone does find a needle it should be handled with gloves and put in a plastic box or container so that it can't pierce its way through.

"Either the police or a doctor's surgery can safely dispose of them."

She added: "There is not a major problem with heroin in the area.

"We do not know if it was heroin in the syringe because it is too dangerous to analyse it.

"But we will certainly be keeping a closer eye on the area where it was found now."

Pictured with the syringe are Janice Skinner and children Nicky and Kieran.


Charlotte Neal
Chief Reporter (Aldershot)
Joshua Smith
Farnborough Reporter
Jon Couch
Sport Editor
Stephen Lloyd
Fleet & Yateley Reporter
Ros Collins
Junior News & Mail
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area