Moving towards closure at Oak Farm
October 18, 2010
The leaders of Hampshire County Council voted in January to close Oak Farm Community School in August 2011.
The closure of the Farnborough secondary school will mean the loss of around 60 jobs, force around 150 pupils to move to new schools, and end 38 years of history for the area's only community secondary school.
Council education planners, who proposed the closure, said Oak Farm had to shut because there were not enough children in Farnborough to justify the four secondary schools there - Wavell, Ferhill, Cove and Oak Farm - with significant numbers of empty school desks.
Oak Farm, which with just 230 pupils on its roll was less than a third full, making it the smallest secondary school in Hampshire, will therefore get the chop.
The county council says the closure will pave the way for up to £100m of government funding to transform the remaining secondary schools in Aldershot and Farnborough.
However, school governors, staff and parents are angry at the way the closure has been handled.
Users of the school's popular community and adult education facilities - some 92,000 people a year - will have to wait until July to learn their fate, although council leaders offered assurances that such facilities would continue after 2011.
Here you can keep up with all the latest stories on the future of Oak Farm.
- Education services continuing at site
- Oak Farm considered for special school
- Governors hint at school closure fight
- Politicians vote to close school
- Oak Farm 'should close by 2011'
- 'Save us from decades of poverty and failure'
- 'A better future for pupils'
- Cabinet turns its back on threatened school
- 'Please save the school we love'
- Hundreds attend meeting on Oak Farm's future
- Don’t shut great school
- Teachers' anger over school closure threat
- School closure plan disappoints
- Oak Farm options set for discussion
- Decision looms on Oak Farm closure
- Decision due on plans for Oak Farm school
- Oak Farm faces axe
- Oak Farm school looks set to close