Café and kebab shop plans turned downBy Tim Harris
December 14, 2012
PLANS for a café and takeaway in a Farnborough ward have been dropped because it could cause "dangerous parking".
Proposals had been made for the eatery in Fernhill Road, which previously sparked fears among residents.
The food outlet would have served English breakfasts and lunches as well as kebabs in the evening.
An application was submitted to Rushmoor Borough Council last month to change an empty shop into the café/takeaway, but the plan has now been refused.
The council’s development control committee rejected the application when it met on Wednesday last week (December 5).
The report detailing the reason for refusal said: “Inadequate customer parking at the proposed restaurant/hot food takeaway would be likely to attract indiscriminate, dangerous and obstructive customer parking in the street outside.
"[This would be] to the detriment of the safety and convenience of highway users.”
People who live in the Fernhill ward had voiced their concerns over the plans.
Objections were made when the planning application was submitted and the residents’ main worry was the potential impact that the food outlet could have had on parking and road congestion in the area.
One objector described how there was "inadequate" parking in the lay-by in front of where the food outlet would have been based.
They also said additional morning traffic would "not be acceptable".
Other residents suggested there could be a potential danger to pedestrians and drivers as a result of traffic congestion.
There were also worries that the new outlet could encourage trouble among young people loitering in the area, and create smells and unpleasant odours.
Fernhill ward councillor, Ken Muschamp, said: “My personal opinion is that a café/takeaway must not disturb anyone.”