Listed building blow for Tumbledown Dick battleBy Tim Harris
January 22, 2013
THE campaign to save a historic pub in Farnborough has suffered a setback, after a bid to have the building listed failed.
A campaign has been in operation since last October to save the Tumbledown Dick, in Farnborough Road, which is being led by the committee Friends of the Tumbledown Dick.
It came to light at the end of last year that the pub has been linked with a sale to international fast food chain McDonald’s.
The campaign group had previously submitted a request to English Heritage for the pub to be considered for listed building status, although the heritage body has now deemed it unfit for listing.
An inspection into the Tumbledown Dick was carried out by an independent historic buildings expert, commissioned by Rushmoor Borough Council.
The report concluded the pub does not meet the criteria needed to become a listed building.
Following this the campaign group released its own heritage report which stressed the historical value of the pub. It is understood English Heritage were given copies of both reports to consider, before making their final decision on the Tumbledown Dick.
The English Heritage report said: “The Tumbledown Dick is a building of local interest as a long established pub with historical links to both the local community and military presence in the area, the current building dating from c. 1825.
“However, from the evidence available, it lacks the special architectural and historical interest required to qualify for listing.”
Fran Beauchamp, of the Friends group, said they were "very frustrated", adding: "It seems that every door that opens another one closes for us. Nobody is making this easy for us, it has been a battle from the start.
“The battle is not over. It is not the be-all and end-all having the building listed. It certainly would have helped us, but it will not stop us, we will keep on going.”
Ms Beauchamp confirmed the group will make an appeal within the next two weeks.
The Tumbledown Dick, which is believed to have been around since the 1600s, has previously hosted bands like Reuben, Hundred Reasons and The Jam.
The venue has been empty since 2008, after it failed a health inspection.