'Mass protest' planned against Tumbledown plansBy Tim Harris
March 08, 2013
SUPPORTERS of the campaign to save a historic Farnborough pub will take part in a mass demonstration this weekend in the town.
The group pushing to save the Tumbledown Dick has organised a rally, which will take place in Farnborough Road where the pub is based, to protest against a plan by burger giant McDonald’s to move into the pub.
The fast food chain last month revealed that a planning application for the proposed restaurant on the Tumbledown site will be submitted in April.
A campaign has been running since October to save the empty Tumbledown Dick pub and committee group the Friends of the Tumbledown Dick, which formed off the back of this, has engineered the rally.
On Saturday the protesters, armed with banners, will gather at the pub at 1pm before walking up Farnborough Road.
The rally will finish at the site of the nearby McDonald’s restaurant at Farnborough Gate.
Fran Beauchamp, from the Friends group, described how there will be chanting, singing and guitar playing as part of the rally.
“We have got a huge and very real support,” she said.
“We would like the rally to show the strength of public support.
“It is our intention to make our point and bring our point to McDonald’s doorstep.
“We want McDonald’s to know how passionate we feel about it. We hope McDonald’s will listen to us.”
Ms Beauchamp said members of the public have been very vocal on the campaign’s page on social media website Facebook, which now has more than 2,700 supporters.
She added that the campaign now need to those people ‘come out and show their support’.
The Friends group has spoken with Hampshire Police about safety for the rally.
The landmark Tumbledown Dick, which is believed to have been around since the 1600s, has previously hosted bands like Reuben, Hundred Reasons and The Jam.
The Tumbledown Dick has been empty since 2008 when it failed a health inspection.