Woman freed on bail after bomb unit searchBy Amy Taylor
March 13, 2013
A WOMAN arrested in Farnborough on suspicion of making threats to kill has been released on bail until May.
The 60-year-old was detained last Thursday (March 7) as a bomb disposal unit spent the day searching a house in Cove Road.
She was held after a search warrant was executed at her home and army explosives teams worked alongside police officers to comb the house, garage and several vehicles.
A police cordon was put in place in the morning, sealing off the property and neighbouring ones, while motorists were advised to avoid the road as traffic was heavily congested due to the operation.
Businesses nearby were able to remain open, including Coral bookmakers in Cove Road and the Potters Arms pub opposite.
Locals at the pub, and other passers-by, stood outside watching the police and army teams at work, while staff at Coral said they had not been given any information about what was taking place but had seen "rumours on Facebook".
Two Rottweilers, reported to be among several animals being kept at the property, were taken away by police teams, according to eyewitnesses.
A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary said the search of the house was "pre-planned policing activity" and not in relation to any threats made that day, but he would not confirm how long the plan had been in place.
The spokesman added: “The warrant was executed as part of an operation into the threats to kill.”
The 60-year-old woman, who has not been named, will report back to police on May 8 and the spokesman said the operation would continue while she was on bail.
Officers remained at the scene until well into last Thursday evening but the bomb disposal unit left shortly before 5pm.
Police said no-one else was being sought in connection with the operation at this stage.