Seven subs decision 'bad news' for BoroBy Jon Couch
June 07, 2012
FARNBOROUGH boss Spencer Day believes a Football League vote to allow clubs to name seven substitutes could have a negative effect on non-league clubs.
Managers previously only had the option of naming five substitutes but at this week’s League Conference it was agreed to revert back to seven following proposals laid out by Birmingham City and Derby County.
And Day believes this could have a knock-on effect for Conference clubs with league managers more reluctant to loan out fringe or youth players.
“It’s a poor decision in my opinion and bad news for all Blue Square clubs,” said the Boro chief, who used the loan system to full effect when bringing in Aldershot Town pair Reece Connolly and Doug Bergqvist last season.
“I don’t think you will see anything like as many loan deals next season as these managers will be mindful about squad sizes, while the younger players just spend more time on the bench.”
The decision means Day’s chances of bringing back Connolly, Bergqvist or anyone else on short-term deals are significantly reduced for next season, but the Boro boss has revealed he is still in talks with a number of potential permanent arrivals.
A “high quality” centre forward to partner new boy Dave Tarpey remains top of Day’s priority list, even though Phillip Page put pen to paper on a new deal last week, while a midfield playmaker is also on the agenda with Day’s interest in Woking loanee Tom Davis having cooled.
Davis is embroiled in a bitter legal row with Havant & Waterlooville, prompting Day to take a step back in his pursuit of the Carshalton man, insisting Davis’s head “is all over the place at the moment”.
Meanwhile, Day has been left reeling by further complications with the PRE stand’s roof at Farnborough's ground.
He has been told the new roof will cost an additional £14,000 plus VAT, otherwise he would be forced to pay back £150,000 in grant money.
But while the setback will eat into Day’s playing budget for next season, the Boro chief insisted the work would still be completed as planned.
“It’s a substantial amount of money for us and a big blow, but the work will be done without a doubt.”