Farnborough boss Day fails in bid to bring back IbeBy Jon Couch
July 05, 2012
FARNBOROUGH chief Spencer Day has failed in an attempt to bring popular striker Kezie Ibe back to the club.
The 29-year-old front man, who left Farnborough for Chelmsford City 12 months ago, topped Day’s list of summer targets after being released by the Clarets last week.
But instead Ibe, who scored 33 goals in 78 appearances for Boro, opted to join Blue Square South rivals Sutton United, who have gone full-time.
Day has so far struggled in his search for a striker to partner Phillip Page and new signing Dave Tarpey in the Boro attack next season, with his other top target, former Woking man Elvis Hammond, currently embroiled in a money laundering court case.
Day said: “I spoke to Kezie, we had a really good chat, but Sutton are now training mornings and that suits him better as he’s a personal trainer. We just couldn't compete.
“We do need another striker but it's not a desperate search, it’s a long pre-season and still very early days. We had 45 players turn up for the start of pre-season on Tuesday night and I was pretty encouraged with what I saw.”
And Day will need to get his players in tip-top shape as Boro have been handed the toughest possible start to the Blue Square South season on August 18.
They begin their campaign with a long trip to the Kent coast to take on pre-season title favourites, Dover Athletic.
Day said: “It’s as tough as start as it gets. Dover were the only team to teach us a lesson at home during my tenure last season and are rightly favourites for the title.
“However, I would have preferred to have a hard game first up as so much can happen on the opening day.
“There are pros and cons to the fixtures but overall I think they’ve been pretty fair to us this year. Our longest Tuesday night trip as it stands is Welling so we have no complaints on that front.”