Andy Scott watched his Aldershot Town cruise past Guiseley in the FA Trophy - and then told them to write a fairytale by getting to Wembley.

Playing on the hallowed turf eight months after the Hampshire club almost took its last breath is a story the Shots boss wants to read.

Into the last eight and at least four teams from outside the Skrill Premier in the hat with them, the dream of a first ever trip to the home of English football is very much alive and on Monday (January 13) the Shots were handed a quarter-final trip to Hampshire rivals Havant & Waterlooville on February 1.

“Some people try to steer clear of the Wembley talk but it’s an incentive,” Scott said. “For anyone playing at Wembley is a massive thing and something they’ve got to focus on and drive onto.

“It was important we didn’t underestimate Guiseley, they’re a good side, and we didn’t do that. It was a thoroughly professional performance. We wanted to get into the next round, now we want a good draw and we want to get into the semi-finals.

“It would be a nice little story to tell after what happened in the summer that we could get to Wembley wouldn’t it?

“It’s given everyone an extra push to reward the players who worked so hard in the summer without getting paid and came back in pre-season and all the fans and directors who worked so hard.

“We’re in it together and I think everyone can feel that. To get to the final would be a real tale to tell and something I desperately want for this football club and my players.”

With Skrill North Guiseley on a 15-game unbeaten run and the memory of being knocked out of the FA Cup by Step 4 Shortwood, Scott’s side weren’t taken the occasion lightly.

Within 70 seconds the day could have taken a very different path when Guiseley striker Alex Johnson broke away only to be hauled down by Joe Partington. Despite 89 travelling fans screaming for a red card the goalscoring opportunity wasn’t obvious enough for referee Adam Bromley, who opted for yellow.

It had been a good start from the visitors but after Martin Rowlands thumped the post at the other end it wasn’t long before Aldershot went ahead. Mark Molesley’s cross from the right hit the legs of Guiseley defender Ben Parker and the ball diverted past keeper Steve Drench.

There was nothing fortunate about the second when Molesley danced his way into a good position and found Aiden O’Brien in the box.

The on-loan Millwall striker, who Scott revealed was playing hours after the death of his grandfather, picked his spot and slotted under Drench.

It was almost three at the halfway stage only for O’Brien to inadvertently block Brett Williams’ shot on the line. Guiseley did have their passages of play and in a second-half loaded with possession they moved the ball around nicely at times.

It needed a goal, however, and after Jake Lawlor headed off target and Danny Boshell whistled a long range shot inches wide, Aldershot all but killed the tie off.

A flowing move involving O’Brien and skipper Craig Stanley was capped off emphatically by Jordan Roberts with a thumping finish