A  dramatic, end-to-end 2-2 draw at Ewen Fields ended in what Shots boss Andy Scott saw as a missed opportunity to move further away from the Skrill Premier danger zone.

The visitors had chances to win a tight clash at Hyde, but it was not to be and the Greater Manchester basement battlers might even have snatched victory themselves.

Scott said: “We had the chances to win two games really, but it’s one of those things.

"We had to come back from 2-1 behind with a few minutes to go and I’d like to think we could have won it.

“I’m disappointed we haven’t got three points, but the second half was much better. We were the dominant force and dangerous going forward, but made a mistake and were playing catch-up again.

“But the lads showed fantastic attitude to get back in it, and could have gone on to win. It was a siege for 45 minutes. We were dominant for the whole second half.

“I couldn’t believe it when they scored. We just lacked quality in the final third.” 

Scott McNiven’s hosts have yet to register a home win this term, and came close to creating an unwanted statistic for the visitors.

But while Hyde went ahead with 15 minutes remaining, Joe Partington’s first Shots goal ultimately spared the blushes as Aldershot moved up to 19th in the table on goal difference.

There were away chances galore from there, yet Brett Williams missed a glorious late chance to gift-wrap all three points.

Hyde soon made a mockery of their position, with Danny Carlton a big threat and Glen Morris the busier keeper.

But Aldershot’s Bradley Bubb and Williams were soon a force to be reckoned with, while Jaydon Gibbs looked a handful with his pace, and Adam Mekki and Craig Stanley with their set-pieces.

Home keeper Chris Kettings was in the thick of it, and the Shots broke the deadlock on 37 minutes.

Ex-Aldershot skipper Rhys Day – a late replacement for injured top-scorer Scott Spencer – was beaten for pace by Bubb, who played in Williams, the striker bagging his 21st goal of the season in style.

Yet within 90 seconds, Adam Blakeman levelled with the easiest of finishes from Josh Brizell’s defence-splitting cross.

The Shots’ confidence wavered, with two more Carlton near-misses before a more determined second half.

Aldershot remained frail when Hyde countered, but Bubb and Williams looked dangerous, with great service by Mekki, Martin Rowlands, Gibbs and Plummer.

Williams twice missed the target, while Kettings beat Bubb in a one-on-one and kept out Rowlands, and Morris stopped a cracking Blakeman 30-yarder on the break.

Sub Josh Scott added a fresh attacking dimension, but a mix-up involving Joe Oastler and Morris led to Barnsley loanee Clark’s 75th-minute break and cool 15-yard finish.

Home belief grew, a sense of anticipation in the cold Tameside air. But what followed was a 15-minute spell of away pressure punctuated only by the odd counter-attack.

A Stanley free kick was tipped behind, Williams’ backwards header was inches away, and Will Haining headed off his line before Partington’s 85th-minute equaliser from another superb Stanley centre.

Near-misses followed from Plummer and Scott, the flag was raised as Williams netted again, the same striker struck over, and Kettings denied Plummer again.

While Morris made up for earlier with a timely clearance at one end, Bubb felt he had won a penalty after going to ground.

There was still time for Williams to win it, but he hesitated a little too long with a clear sight of goal, Hyde clearing to secure the draw.

Aldershot Town: Morris, Oastler, Stanley, Mekki (Scott 70), Rowlands, Williams, Bubb, Barker, Partington, Gibbs, Plummer. Subs not used: Tonkin, Taiwo, L Williams.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse. Attendance: 520.