How we use Cookies

Boss rues rotten luck as Farnborough FC lose 3-0 at Bromley

A fluke opener, a sending off, a suspicion of offside and then an own-goal made for a miserable first half for Farnborough FC

Spencer Day was frustrated by 10-man Farnborough's defeat at leaders Bromley

Spencer Day was left to rue his side's wretched luck as Farnborough crashed to a fourth straight away defeat, going down 3-0 at Skrill South leaders Bromley on Saturday (December 7).

If falling behind to a rather fortunate opener from Brendan Kiernan was not enough, Boro then had to play 72 minutes with 10 men after centre-back Adam Doyle was sent off for a rash challenge on Ashley Nicholls.

A suspiciously offside second from Jay May on 29 minutes put the leaders in firm control before an Alan Inns own-goal compounded Boro's misery.

But while bemoaning his luck, Day heaped praise on his troops for the second-half shut-out of the league pacesetters, who in recording their first competitive win over Farnborough in six years also stretched their 100% home record this season to nine matches.

He said: "I thought we started well for 10 minutes but the first time they've got in our box they've scored with a fluke, it's a cross which has just flown into the net.

"But two minutes later we've had a man sent off and you've got to play 75 minutes or so with 10 men, away from home, against the league leaders and it's backs to the wall.

"Just to compound it the second goal is five yards offside, our goalkeeper has injured himself in the warm-up and then an own-goal makes it 3-0.

"You're sitting there thinking this isn't your day but credit to the lads in the second half, I thought we gave as good as we got, we worked so hard and showed some pride."

After suffering back-to-back drubbings in Essex in the seven days previous, Day's men were first to show with Scott Donnelly testing Joe Welch with an early free kick.

But with their first serious attack on 16 minutes, Bromley took the lead in bizarre fashion when Kiernan cut in from the left before seeing his cross bounce through Boro’s static defence into the net and past the helpless Kevin Scriven.

The job then became even tougher for Day's men two minutes later when Doyle received his marching orders for upending Nicholls - and they were almost down to nine within moments when Dan Bennett was lucky not to see red after hauling down the same man.

Day's response was to sacrifice striker Elvis Hammond for young defender Courtney Fearn, but it was not long before Bromley extended their lead. Dean Pooley’s clearance was latched onto by May and after an exquisite first touch he emphatically scissor-kicked the ball home.

Bromley, though, were not finished there, this time Kiernan turned provider in crossing for Pierre Joseph-Dubois, whose header crept in despite the best efforts of Inns on the goal-line.

Day then lost keeper Scriven at half time to an injury suffered in the warm-up, handing a debut to Matt Lovett.

And Boro battled hard to limit the damage, despite efforts from Bradley Goldberg, May and Dubois, while Donnelly again produced a fine save from Welch at the other end.

Boro are in Hampshire Senior Cup action on Tuesday (December 10) when they take on neighbours and rivals Aldershot Town in an eagerly-awaited third-round clash.


Latest Football News


Pete Bryant
Chief Reporter (Aldershot)
Laura Nightingale
Yateley Reporter
Natalie Garland
Farnborough Reporter
Jon Couch
Sport Editor
Fergus McEwan
Community & Schools Editor
Stephen Lloyd
Fleet Reporter
Ros Collins
Junior News & Mail
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area