The Farnborough manager has been feeling confident that Saturday's scheduled fixture against Eastbourne can go ahead
Spencer Day reckons Farnborough FC are ready to “press the button” and finally kick-start their season this weekend.
The club have been forced to sit out the first four matches of the Skrill South campaign after being suspended by the Conference for missing a deadline to pay a £100,000 membership bond by just 31 minutes.
Following crisis talks with Conference chiefs last week, owner/manager Day and new club sponsors Paddy Power were told they had to comply with a list of conditions or run the serious risk of the club missing the entire season.
But after a long, hard week of negotiation and emergency renovation works at Cherrywood Road, Day is hopeful the club will finally get the go-ahead to kick off the new campaign at Eastbourne Borough this weekend.
“We've been working exceptionally hard,” Day told the News & Mail. “We think we are nearly there, we are ready to press the button.
“We desperately want to play at the weekend, as do Eastbourne, and we feel we are close.
"There has been a few frustrating complications which have delayed things this week, but we are hoping we can solve them in time to get Conference approval for the weekend.”
Indeed, Eastbourne Borough even offered to put the game back 24 hours to Sunday afternoon in order to give the two parties extra time to get paperwork signed and the match played.
A statement issued to Eastbourne from the Conference on Wednesday read: "Farnborough FC has been given, and has accepted, a schedule of items with which it must comply by 5pm on Thursday September 5.
"It has said it wishes to commence its fixtures on August 31, in which case the board has stated it must be compliant by 5pm on Thursday August 29."
In order to comply with the conditions, the club has this week re-turfed a troubled area of the pitch following essential summer drainage work and installed a new hot water supply to the bar and changing area – both on the Conference’s advice.
At the same time, it is believed that a solution to the main condition – that of players and coaches changing their names to famous footballers by deed poll as part of the Paddy Power deal – has also been reached with the club’s title sponsors.
But if Farnborough do get the green light to finally get their season under way this weekend, then Day has another problem to contend with on the field as his “massively under-cooked” side prepare to take on the early Skrill South leaders at Priory Lane with a plethora of injuries and suspensions hanging over their heads.
Captain Alan Inns is banned for three matches and midfielder Reece Jones for one, while the influential Steve Laidler has suffered a setback in his recovery from a knee operation.
New boy Djibril Fofana faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines following a knock in pre-season, while Day also has doubts over Adam Doyle (back) and strikers Elvis Hammond (leg) and Reece Connolly (illness).
And to top it off, Boro have yet to receive international clearance from the Football Association of Wales to play ex-Newport County midfielder Scott Donnelly, leaving his availability under threat.
The boss has, however, brought back an old face in the shape of Spaniard Alfred Bosch as cover and he could go straight into the starting XI for the weekend along with fellow new arrival Nathan Koo-Boothe.
“If we do get the go-ahead to play it’s going to be a very tough start,” Day added.
“We’ve been training as normal and at weekends but we haven’t played a game for three weeks and are massively under-cooked.
“But I’m really happy with the squad of players I have.
"We’ve had to go a little over budget due to the suspensions and the injuries we've got at the start of the season, but if we can just get over the first month and get some points on the board then who knows what we can do, nothing will surprise me with this group of players.”