A dominant second half performance from Aldershot Town enabled Terry Brown's side to keep clear daylight between themselves and Canvey Island after a frustrating afternoon seemed to be on the menu once again for Shots fans.

There is saying that when it rains, it pours, and on Saturday there was never any question of the heavy drizzle — or the goals — drying up once they had both started at the Rec.

For Terry Brown, it's now 16 points from the last 18 but the Shots boss still looks like he has the world on his shoulders and in a way, I suppose you could say that he has, such is the expectation of the Rec faithful.

Speaking after seeing his side hit four second half goals past a depleted Hampton, the manager said: "We just needed to get the first goal because we have found goals a problem this year.

We were continually putting them under pressure but we kept our patience today, the crowd kept their patience and once the first one went in, it was always going to be an avalanche."

The manager is not wrong, the Shots certainly have found goals a problem and Saturday's feast was the first time Brown's side has won by more than a single goal at home since September 21.

However, the boss also cited the fact that once the account was opened it would be a question of how many? And the visitors' defending in the second half was similar to the buffet sandwiches on sale in the new Social Club at the Rec. Very inviting and of the help yourself variety!

There was a first half but to be quite honest it wasn't up to much and only Lee Charles and Roscoe D'Sane threatened for the home side whilst Jason Cousins had to be replaced in the 25th minute by the versatile Anthony Charles.

The lack of creativity by both sides in the middle of the park made for a few anxious cries in the crowd but all was forgiven early in the second period as the Shots put their foot on the pedal to leave the visitors playing catch-up for good.

Lee Holsgrove appeared to have all but opened the scoring in the 49th minute but Hampton's Alan Inns cleared his well-placed header off the line.

The pressure simply intensified after that and how referee John Farries managed to ignore a blatant penalty claim on the influential midfielder moments later, only he will know.

As the Shots continued to dominate, Hampton continued to lack any real edge and any rare attack was quickly nullified by the dependable defensive duo of Ray Warburton and Dominic Sterling.

Meanwhile, Nick Roddis and Paul Buckle were also now coming to the party and with Lee Charles growing in confidence alongside D'Sane, the ball continued to move in the same direction but Brown would have surely been asking himself a few questions on the bench.

The breakthrough eventually came in the 68th minute when D'Sane found himself through after latching onto a decent ball from Roddis. Despite finding his range with an early strike, the goal owed more to good fortune more than anything else, taking a deflection off the unfortunate Sam Okafor and lobbing over the hapless Andy Iga between the Hampton posts.

The visitors were now a beaten side, but there was to be no let-up from the Ryman leader's.

Anthony Charles, who more than anything had probably become bored from sitting at the back and waiting for something to happen, then strode into the box and hit home Roddis' low cross to double the advantage four minutes later.

And when the impressive Steve Perkins — making his second substitute appearance for the Shots — drilled a powerful free-kick straight at Iga, the advancing lee Charles made no mistake from close range after the ‘keeper had failed to parry the stinging shot away from danger. The goal, however scrappy it may have been, was no more than Charles deserved for his all-round play and hard work throughout.

D'Sane added to the scoring tally in the dying moments after Chris Rose brought him down in the box. The decision by the referee prompted Brown to punch the air in appreciation and thank the heavens that at last something had gone his side's way. However, he was far from happy with the official at the final whistle, adding: "I thought that the ref couldn't keep denying us penalties but he defied believe when he didn't give the Holsgrove one which was right in front of him. I cannot understand how you can ignore a challenge like that.

"I have no problem with the result but we need more of a cutting edge and I could still do with a goal-scorer to be honest."

Billericay next week will surely pose more questions that will need to be answered by Brown's men, but at the moment it's business as usual down at the Rec. A side that sits at the top of the pack and a manager who is constantly looking over his shoulder as Canvey continue their chase.

SHOTS: Howells, Hooper, Chewins, Cousins (A.Charles 25), Warburton, Sterling, Roddis, Holsgrove (Perkins 73), L.Charles, D'Sane, Buckle (Hammond 78).

Att: 2,012. Ref: J.Farries.