IT WAS a game where most people forgot the score afterwards. If that is the case, then Aldershot Town will be thankful — as it was their third successive league defeat.

But it was the ugly scenes at the end of a scrappy game that will stuck in the mind long after the final whistle was blown.

There was, however, a last gasp chance for the Shots to steal a point when Roscoe D'Sane was brought down in the area deep into a staggering nine minutes of time added on.

But after a lengthy delay, that saw visiting keeper Delroy Preddie cautioned, Paul Buckle stepped up only to slam the ball against the upright.

And it added to the woes of Shots fans who had seen 90 minutes of time wasting from the Chesham side and referee Batchelor never take control.

With history between the two sides the game was always going to be gritty, but with a number of dubious decisions both ways the game deteriorated into a display all would want to forget.

Anthony Charles and Paul Moody were both lucky to dodge going into the referee's book and the police were called to deal with incidents involving the fans — there were at least two clashes between the supporters as the game eventually came to an end and fans reported taunts from a wound-up Preddie.

And the tension on the pitch spilled over into the tunnel too, as the players were apparently involved in an altercation outside the dressing room.

"It got naughty out there because we lost a little bit of our discipline," said boss Terry Brown. "Yes, I could say they were frustrating, killed the game. The ref didn't stop them wasting time; their trainer went on at least 15 times to my count. You could have added 20 minutes on.

"It got a little bit ugly at the end and we have to learn to keep our discipline and keep our frustration, because there is no excuse for us not doing that.

"And you also need a little bit of lady luck. After Bedford and Canvey I was saying we've had the rub of the green today, but in the three games we've lost consecutively we haven't had so much as a lucky bounce.

"We created chance after chance. Yes we should have finished them, but the bottom line is we shouldn't have to score three goals at home to win a game. Their gamesmanship won them the game."

At the end it was easy to forget a game of football had ever taken place. But it had and Shots had gone behind after 21 minutes of it.

After a Shots corner was blocked, Jermaine Hunter broke down the left. Jason Chewins managed to get back but was unable to stop the Chesham man getting a shot in from close range. Nicky Bull could only tip it up and Julian Capone was on top of him to head the loose ball into the back of the net.

Shots were not without their chances, but they found the Chesham defence soaking up everything they threw at them.

The home side came out all guns blazing after the break and in the first minute they could have equalised when Adam Parker and Moody combined well in front of goal.

Nick Roddis was in on the action on 74 minutes when his cross-cum-shot from the right soared into the back of the net, with a little help from the visiting defence, to level the scores.

But it took Chesham just four minutes to pull the lead back, when Tom Neill's cross from deep in the corner was headed in at the far post by the unmarked Darren Hay.

Parker and Moody then both scuffed good opportunities to bring Shots level before D'Sane was fouled in the area for the injury time penalty.

"The fans were absolutely brilliant today," added Brown. "They're as frustrated as ever and they weren't getting on the players backs they were trying their best to raise the tempo of the game. They had a little bit of provocation themselves."

SHOTS: Bull; Carroll (sub Holsgrove 62mins), Chewins, Ready (Thompson 70), Cousins (Taylor 45), A Charles, Roddis, Parker, Moody, D'Sane, Buckle. Not used: Nutter, Cooper. Att: 1770

l Shots will be looking to end their recent run of defeats when they visit Hampton & Richmond Borough tonight (Tuesday).

Although Hampton moved off the bottom of the table on Saturday, despite a 2-0 defeat at Enfield, it will not be a trip the Shots will relish — the Beavers are managed by former Shots legend Ian McDonald.

The Shots have also lost both the league clashes there in the past two seasons and were knocked out of the League Cup in the semi-final game at the Beveree last year.

"They'll see a major success as getting the scalp of Aldershot," said Brown. "They'll be fired up, they'll be scrapping for every ball and it's our job to make sure that our boys go out with a similar commitment to the last half hour today at the start of the first 30 minutes because we're not playing for 90 minutes at the moment.

"For us to win the league we need to play wholeheartedly for the entire 90 minutes."

Brown has a defensive problem, however, with Dominic Sterling out and both Jason Cousins and Karl Ready looking doubtful after coming off during Saturday's game. Brett Cooper stands by.