To call these desperate times down at the Aimita Stadium would be slightly harsh considering Farnborough's position in the Nationwide Conference at the moment.

But to call Tuesday night's performance anything but desperate, against a side who before then had scored even less goals than Graham Westley's men and who propped up the Conference table, would be a downright lie to those who had the good fortune to stay away and not witness the shambles that were displayed on the pitch.

Westley seems to have a clear problem here, ever he is struggling to motivate his players or they are struggling to motivate themselves.

Whatever way you look at it, to come out and play like they did in a first half display against the league's basement club is simply not acceptable to the fans who after two victories on the bounce would be expecting slightly more from their attacking players.

With Westley being forced to make just the one change from Saturday's 1-0 win over Leigh, that of Barry Laker for the injured Micky Warner, hopes would have been high of Boro continuing their recent good run of results. But the writing was on the wall early in this one after Forest Green attacked from the early stages.

Alex Sykes and Gary Owers both came close before Garry Butterworth pulled down Kayode Odejayi in the 27th minute to concede a penalty after Forest Green had dominated play in Boro's half.

Tony Pennock saved Neil Grayson's first attempt but the referee claimed to spot an encroachment from Jim Rodwell and the tall defender was booked for disputing the decision before ex-Cheltenham striker Grayson slotted home the re-take much to the disgust of the Boro bench.

Unfortunately, the penalty did not serve as a wake up call to Boro and just four minutes later they were two down when Sykes turned Darren Annon on the right hand side of the box before curling his shot around and over Pennock in the Boro goal.

Sykes had proved to be Forest Green's biggest threat with his injection of pace and skill and he continued to cause Annon problems until a bruised and battered Boro were more than relieved to hear the half-time whistle after they had failed to register a shot on target.

Changes were made at the break when Chris Piper replaced Annon and Leroy Griffiths came on for Dean Green. But Boro still looked out of sorts despite Steve Watson coming close with a 25-yard drive.

Indeed, they found themselves 3-0 down on 54 minutes when Kevin Langan put Odejayi through who stabbed the ball home into an open net after Pennock had parried his initial effort.

To their credit, Boro didn't give in the fight but the damage had already been done

Ken Charlery had a header cleared off the line in the 57th minute and from then on Boro resorted to long range efforts in the hope that one of them would turn things their way.

Lenny Piper, now operating in the middle of the park rather than sitting on the bench, was looking lively and his brother Chris worked tirelessly down the right hand side but Boro continued to give the ball away in areas where they simply could not afford to do so and Forest Green were by this time more than happy to take the pace out of the game when the ball was at their feet.

As time ran out Forest Green nearly made it four when Sykes hit the underside of the bar and Pennock then saved superbly from Odejayi who headed the rebound.

Boro will need to sharpen up in all departments, not least commitment, if they are to get their season back on track with their visit to Telford on Saturday. Kick-off at Buck's Head is 3pm.

BORO: Pennock, Gregory, Laker, Watson, Taggart, Green (Griffiths), Charlery, Butterworth, Holloway (L.Piper), Darren Annon (C.Piper), Rodwell.

Subs not used: Osborn, Carroll