FARNBOROUGH Town brushed aside with consummate ease the opponents that had held them to a 1-1 draw only days earlier.

Boro appeared a different team on Tuesday night with the availability of Chris Piper, who netted a brace in this superb team performance and were worthy winners of the fourth round spot. In scoring five they repeated the drubbing they handed out to Carshalton at Colston Avenue in the league last season.

They will now take on Nigel Clough's Unibond League leaders Burton Albion in an attractive tie at the Aimita Stadium on Saturday February 2.

Boss Graham Westley said: "I think it was a solid performance, but not one of our best and it was the job we should have done on Saturday really.

"There was a much better will to win. The lads knuckled down and did the job in a professional, sound way, no less than I would expect.

"They won the battle and then they won the war as well, so that's good.

"Graham Roberts was a player who pulled no punches and you expect his teams to fight hard and they did fight hard. But our lads did well. They kept their discipline and won the game."

Boro dominated from start and found themselves two goals up inside the first 15 minutes.

Micky Warner slipped the ball through to Gary Crawshaw, who sent his shot through a crowded penalty box and into the back of the net for the opener on 11 minutes.

It was Crawshaw who netted the second just two minutes later, controlling another good ball forward from Warner on his chest superbly and volleying past Stuart Searle in the home goal.

Tempers then began to flare at the end of the first half and during an astonishing six minutes injury time.

Carshalton's Mark Hynes was cautioned for an ambiguous tackle on Barry Laker and minutes later his team-mate Neil Robson was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Gary Patterson.

Crawshaw, struggling after taking a knock on his hip early on, was then replaced by Joff Vansittart, who was shown the yellow card within minutes for elbowing his marker.

The second half saw Boro hit the target three more times, as Carshalton suffered from the loss of Robson.

A great run from Vansittart from inside his own half, set up Chris Piper who slipped the ball into the net after colliding with Searle on the goal line on 58 minutes.

Chris Piper then unleashed a superb curling shot from 25 yards after 66 minutes, which beat the diving Searle at his near post for Boro's fourth of the night.

Vansittart sealed the victory over the Ryman first division team in the 75th minute. He picked up a defence splitting long ball from Chris Piper to go one on one with Searle and then neatly chipped it over the despairing Carshalton keeper.

There was a last desperate surge from Carshalton, with Scott Kinch testing Darren Bonfield in the Boro goal, but they were unable to find a late consolation goal.

Westley added: "Before last night we had only won one in our last nine games and that's just not good enough - we're better than that. But we've worked hard in training to address that and we're getting back into better shape.

"I think we've turned the corner now and things will get better.

"I think the Trophy is well within our grasp. We've got a great draw now. A side from a lower league. A home draw, which means you don't have to travel. It's everything you'd want in the Cup.

"It's good to be able to come out tonight knowing we've done the job and we've just got to do the same again on Saturday now."

CARSHALTON: Searle; Hollingsworth, Wood, Costello, Elliot, Gartell (Sub Moore 45 mins), Robson, Glasgow (Hegley 40"), Hynes (Abbott 53"), Falana, Kinch. Not used: Ford, Borg.

BORO: Bonfield; Warner, Dublin, Patterson (sub Taggart 82 mins), Annon, Laker, Holloway, L Piper, De Souza (Green 78"), Crawshaw (Vansittart 45"), C Piper. Not used: Benstead, Harper.

Fans going to Boro's fourth round FA Umbro Trophy tie with Burton Albion will be segregated.

The game due to take place on February 2 between Boro and Hereford United will also be re-arranged.

Tomorrow (Saturday January 19) Boro entertain Stalybridge Celtic at the Aimita Stadium. Kick off is at 3pm.

Stalybridge currently lie in the Conference bottom three.

When the teams met back in September, Lenny Piper scored a late equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw after Boro had dominated the game.

Nathan Bunce, a late substitue that day, was sent off with three minutes remaining.

Bunce was the third Boro player to be sent off with the season only weeks old, and Boro's disciplinary record is still the worst in the Conference.