DANNY Carroll and Farnborough Town turned on the style with a blistering second half display to sink a shell-shocked Margate at the AIMITA Stadium.

Carroll led the way with a nonchalant brace — his first goals for the club — as Boro smashed four in a 26-minute spell, surely as good as anything seen at home in many years.

Injuries and a lack of first team action have contributed to a slow start to Carroll's Boro career, but the former Crawley man stated his intentions of a place in the starting eleven with a complete midfield performance.

He said: "In a way getting injured in pre-season was good for me because it allowed me to watch Conference games and get used to the quality and pace. It's very different to the Doc Martens League and it gave me a chance to realise what I needed to do in training to improve my game. Hopefully, it's starting to pay off.

"Tuesday night was fantastic for me, it was a great team performance in the second half, a pleasure to play in, so to cap it with two goals is amazing."

Speaking of his new golden boy, Westley said: "Danny deserves that. He has worked very hard in the three starts he has had and his performances had got better each time. Tonight, he was tremendous."

Carroll's brace got Boro up and running after a poor first half, but his headlines were shared by Ken Charlery and Lenny Piper, who both notched goals — the third time that's happened in as many matches.

The half-price ticket offer run by the News and Mail, led to an extra 241 fans clicking through the turnstiles, as compared to the last home game, although, after a rather non-descript opening half, they were probably left wondering why they did.

That question took just 16 seconds to answer.

Westley replaced Darren Annon with Dean Green to light up the AIMITA Stadium with an explosive 4-3-3 formation. And it paid dividends almost immediately.

Piper broke free down the right flank, he cut the ball back for Charlery, who in turn set up Carroll to side-foot the ball home from 12 yards.

Cue the onslaught.

Piper was again on hand to conjure up the second after dispossessing the dithering Sam Sodje and unselfishly laying off for the on-rushing Carroll to nonchalantly stroke home into the bottom corner.

By now, Boro were flying and it was no surprise to see Charlery make it 3-0 on 70 minutes — brushing off the challenges of two defenders on a run across the box and planting the ball past goalkeeper Charlie Mitten and in off the far post.

But Piper wasn't to be outdone by his fellow free-scoring team-mate. Just 90 seconds later he controlled Green's goalbound effort and, unmarked, lifted the ball over Mitten from close range.

Margate's misery was complete when skipper Graham Porter was sent off with nine minutes left for a second bookable offence.

But the visitors did force a late consolation when Jay Saunders' free-kick from an angle, eluded everyone in the box and found its way past a stranded Tony Pennock and into the far corner.

Westley will be hoping for much the same on Saturday when basement boys Kettering Town visit the AIMITA Stadium for a 3pm kick-off.

But Boro must beware. The last time a team from the bottom of the table visited, Forest Green, they ended up walking away with a comfortable 3-0 victory!

l Don't forget the club will be showing the Slovakia v England game in the clubhouse afterwards (ko 6.15pm).

BORO: Pennock; Warner, Gregory, Bunce, Laker, Watson, L Piper, Carroll, Charlery (sub Lee 85mins), Holloway, Annon (Green 45). Not used: Vansittart, Osborn, Butterworth.

Ref: S Habgood. Att: 741.