A FIRST half strike from Jamie Shannon gave Camberley Town their first win, and indeed points of their Ryman League season, following a gritty and determined performance at Chalfont St Peter.

Delighted boss Les Ryder kept faith with his side after seven successive league defeats, and it paid off with Town continuing a recent surge in form.

And but for a freak result down the road at Wokingham, where previously win-less Dorking ran out emphatic 9-1 winners, Town would be sitting third from the bottom right now.

Ryder said: "We have played better and lost but on the whole we deserved it.

"Because this was a game we were expected to do well in, the players started very nervous, and, at times, it was a shambles. But they scrapped like trojans and never stopped running. This is a huge confidence booster."

Both sides started cautiously on a bumpy and greasy surface and found chances difficult to come by early on.

Chalfont had the better of the early possession and went close when skipper Kevin Davies made a late run in to the penalty area to head a corner goalwards, but keeper Chris Westphal, making his first appearance of the season in place of Steve Jeatt, managed to tip the ball over via the top of the crossbar.

As the half progressed, Camberley came more into the match and had chances through recent signing Ian Jopling — making his debut in this, his third spell at Krooner Park — and his strike partner Shannon.

Indeed, on 36 minutes, Town got the opening they were looking for when a long ball forward was not controlled, allowing Shannon to rob his marker, take the ball round keeper Danny Coleman and slot home from a narrow angle.

Town continued to have the upper hand after the break and looked more likely to add to the scoring, despite the tricky surface. Substitute Matt Pattison was unlucky not to make it 2-0 mid-way through the second half with a curling shot that Coleman tipped round the post.

The last 15 minutes saw Chalfont press forward with more urgency in search of the equaliser. Barry Brosnan should have levelled the scores, sliding in on a cross, but somehow he put the ball over from 10 yards.

While they were gambling on grabbing the equaliser, gaps began to appear at the back. Coleman was twice brought into the action to deny Jopling a debut goal and Paul Wilshire from close range.

Town did have a scare in the final moments when Ben Floyd had a shot touched onto the post by Westphal, who was then alert enough to gather the rebound and ensure his side claimed all three points.

TOWN: Westphal; Parfitt, McNamara (Pattison), Harrison, Masson (Anscomb), Wilshire, Millington-Lee, Robertson, Shannon (Nunn), Jopling, Hallissey.

l Town are back in action tonight (Tuesday ko 7.45pm) when play neighbours Ash United in the Surrey Senior Cup.