Gravesend & Northfleet's goal-machine Che Stadhart could well be on the way to the Rec after the club confirmed that they have put an offer in for a top-Conference striker.
The News can exclusively reveal that Stadhart is seen as the man who can fire the Shots to their illusive Ryman League title.
The club are hopeful that the former Hampton & Richmond Borough player will be in the starting line-up come their Tuesday night game at home with Maidenhead United after they had an offer turned down for Kingstonian and former Camberley player Tim Sills.
Brown said: "We have been looking at two or three top Conference players and we have put an offer in on one who we see as the right player for us. At the moment the club seem to be mulling over the offer so we will see what happens."
To date this season the Gravesend frontman has found the net 13 times in the Conference and he knows one or two things about scoring against the Shots' rivals, as he has netted five time this term against Woking and hit his first goal for the club in 1999 against Farnborough Town.
Stadhart's vast experience at Conference level certainly would offer the Shots a huge advantage in an area where — in truth—there has been improvements in recent weeks.
However, Brown seems intent on adding to his squad, saying: "We have also been looking at two or three wide players from the lower leagues." The fact that assistant boss Stuart Cash was seen at Fleet Town last week casting a possible eye over former Southampton youth player Shea Saunders would seem to indicate that he may be just one of those players.
With Harrow Borough the destination on Saturday, Brown is adamant though that his side is big enough and strong enough to cope at the moment, even though the absence of defenders Ray Warburton and Jason Cousins through suspension and injury respectively has caused Brown to have a slight reshuffle. "I have had to bring in Anthony Charles but that won't be a problem," said Brown.
As the transfer saga continues for the striker and the attacking players, Brown has been boosted with the news that former Woking player Steve Perkins is available to play for the club after a deal was agreed on a non-contract basis.
"Steve will start on the bench on Saturday and he really gives us something different in midfield," added the Shots boss.
Despite the Shots now winning four on the bounce, Canvey still remain hot on their heels and with the crucial away clash to the Essex club being scheduled for April 15, Brown now admits that the title looks like being a two horse race.
"I think Canvey have won nine on the trot now, whereas we have won our last four. Meanwhile, the other sides have been dropping points here and there so I think It will come down to us and them and it looks like a two horse race from now on."
With Harrow on Saturday, Maidenhead at the Rec on Tuesday and Hampton next Saturday, Brown has to be looking at a possible nine points.
"We are looking forward to three games in a week and Tuesday's game will give us a chance to get back our game in hand on Canvey. Everybody at the club and within the squad is feeling confident about it."