NOT only is he the most popular but he's now the most successful.

Players and managers have been and gone at the Rec in the past but the legend of Jason Chewins lives on — and it looks set to do so for some time yet.

Chewins became the first player ever to win the Arthur English Player of the Year for a second time on Saturday — following up his 1998/99 success with an absolute landslide victory.

Receiving his award from Supporters Club member Julie Beattie prior to the match (pictured below), Chewins received a rousing reception from the fans in honour of yet another great season.

For weeks now, voted have come pouring in from supporters and right from the outset, there could really only be one winner.

Chewy's consistent performances at left back, and also elsewhere, this season, made him an obvious choice.

And the good news is that new boss Terry Brown has already confirmed that Chewins remains part of his long-term plans, so the club's record appearance maker can enjoy many more happy days at the club he has come to love.

A delighted Chewins said afterwards: "I was a bit overwhelmed when they announced it, I didn't know how to react to be honest. I should have clapped the crowd, which I regret not doing, but it was all a big surprise to me.

"To have the support of the fans behind me is an unbelievable feeling, it makes all the difference. There was a bit of a torrid time just before Christmas but the support of the fans helped bring me through that, as it did all the players.

"It's not the first time I've won it and hopefully I'll be here for a few more seasons yet to give it another go.

"If I get the opportunity to stay then I will, I don't want to be anywhere else.

"Under Terry [Brown] I think we cane do really well, I think it's only a matter of time before we make the Conference."

Unfortunately, however, not even Chewins could inspire the Shots to a parting victory at the Rec, with the last home match of the season ending in a disappointing 1-1 draw.

It's now four without a win now for the Shots but with Brown using this hectic period wisely in experimenting and trying out new tactics, surely better times lie ahead.

Assistant boss Stuart Cash went on a scouting mission for a second week running, and missed the Shots put in an average performance against a side they pummelled 3-0 away just 11 days previous.

Mark Bentley gave the Shots the best possible start on 22 minutes when he headed home the opener and indeed his first league goal since December in an injury-ravaged season.

Naturally Chewins started arguable the best move of the match, playing in Chris Allen down the left flank.

Allen ghosted past Mike Dignam, not for the first time, and flighted the perfect cross from the by-line for Bentley to fire into the far top corner of the net.

Lee Holsgrove, deservedly voted Player of the Month for March, headed wide from Allen centre earlier on, while the Saints threatened through Gary Ansell's shot which was scuffed wide and Mike Bignall's effort which was driven straight at Gareth Howells.

This inspired the visitors to their best period of the match after the break, and after Younes Nabil struck the post from a tight angle, Bignall showed him how it was done.

Darren Baxter's delivery into the box was helped on by the awkward Ansell, allowing Bignall time to nod home from close range.

Brown's answer was to change the system to a 3-5-2 by making a triple substitution, and the Shots looked a different side from there on in.

Excellent interventions by Richard Evans to deny Stafford Browne and Ryan Moran to thwart both Chewins and Dave Carroll, prevented certain shots on goal, while Carroll and Browne both brought fine reaction saves from keeper Richard Wilmot to add to the Brown's current frustration.

He said: "There was a few plusses and the normal amount of minuses. I would have liked to finish with a win.

"At half time I felt we should have gone on and picked up a gear but again, we didn't come out in the second half.

"I've asked the players why that was, maybe it's fatigue or mental attitude, I don't know.

"None of the wide men tucked in and battled for us which meant we conceded possession and again, we failed to deal with a bog basic set piece, which was disappointing.

"I felt we looked a lot better when I made the changes, we took the game to them and could have got something from it in the end."

SHOTS: Howells; Protheroe, Chewins, Kirby, Coll, Holsgrove, Carroll, Bentley (sub Harford 68mins), Payne (Watson 68), Browne, Allen (Parker 68).

ST ALBANS: Wilmot; Dignam (sub Honeyball 85mins), Cook, Moran, Evans, Baxter, Kean, Bignall (Campbell 76), Ansell (Mackail-Smith 58), Wraight, Nabil.

Ref: Andy Legg. Att: 1,637.

Thursday night's trip to Braintree Town proved a nightmare for the Shots from start to finish, with the home side wrapping up a 2-0 victory.

After a gruelling four hour coach trip, the team only arrived ten minutes before the scheduled 7.45pm kick off time, forcing a 15-minute delay.

Shots boss Terry Brown gave run-outs to reserve teamers Julian Thompson, Mark Kleboe and Ali Shaw, and all three impressed in their brief forays.

Mark Jones gave Briantree the lead two minutes before half time with a header from Robbie Reinelt's cross, which looked suspiciously offside.

But they wrapped it up three minutes after the break through Gavin Cowan's 22-yard free kick which flew in off the post.

Grant Payne might have scored for Aldershot, but his three stunning efforts produced equally good saves from keeper Paul Catley.

Aldeshot Town will travel to Boreham Wood on Saturday, where they will be looking to ensure a top three finish.