JOFF Vansittart bundled home an injury time equaliser to breathe fresh new life in Boro's Conference survival bid, while bringing a satisfactory end to an otherwise frustrating but entertaining night's football.

The recalled Vansittart struck with the clock showing 92 minutes to complete a brave comeback from 2-0 down, but it could have been so much more as Boro dominated for long periods, only to get hit twice by the sucker punch.

With Boro missing a host of chances including a penalty from Rocky Baptiste, caretaker boss Ian McDonald and his new assistant Tommy Taylor were left disappointed that their side failed to register a precious three points in their bid to beat the dreaded drop.

Macca said: "We played three up front so I laid my cards on the table and we started very positively.

"Unfortunately we got done on the break in what was the first time they had come into our half all game. But we responded positively although it seemed like just one of those days where nothing was going to go right for us. Obviously I'm pleased that we got out of jail and earned ourselves a point but we all know that it should have been three."

Boro pleased their fans with a determined and commited display, although, not for the first time this season, Lady Luck was not shining down on them.

The first 25 minutes was all Farnborough with Lenny Piper twice going close, but just when you thought Macca could be heading for his first win, David Brown disapossessed Ken Charlery, fed Peter Smith out wide before latching onto the return ball and firing under the body of Tony Pennock.

Boro then had three legitamate penalty appeals turned down in the space of four minutes and it looked increasingly likely it was to be just one of those days.

Somehow you got the feeling, such was their dominance, that Boro would still win through, but with the second half seven minutes old, Telford broke again, Gary Fitzpatrick hit a speculative shot from all 25 yards which Pennock uncharacteristically spilled and the ball sailed underneath the crossbar and in.

Nine minutes later, however, Boro were given a lifeline when Telford skipper Mark Foran pulled back Baptiste close in after Tony Taggart's centre, referee Marriner pointed to the spot and then promptly sent Foran off for a professional foul.

After a long debate with Lenny Piper, Baptiste stepped up, only to see his spot kick saved by Paul Edwards — the fourth penalty in five attempts missed this season. Macca later revealed that Piper was actually the nominated penalty-taker.

Disappointed yes but dis-spirited, no — Piper then showed his team-mate just how to find the back of the net 12 minutes later with a thunderous half-volley from a full 30 yards to bring Boro back into the game.

With Foran gone, Telford defended for their lives as Boro bombed forward with purpose.

But just when it looked as though their efforts might be in vain, substitute Dean Green whipped in a cross from the right, Piper flicked onto Baptiste, who in turn headed back across goal for Vansittart to bundle home gleefully at the far post to save a few blushes.

BORO: Pennock; C Piper, Taggart, Annon, Rodwell, Patterson (sub Green 71mins), L Piper, Butterworth, Vansittart, Baptiste, Charlery. Not used: Ayres, Potter, Harkness, Osborn.

Ref: A Marriner. Att: 529.

l Conference high-fliers Chester City come to Cherrywood Road on Saturday, looking to further cement their push for a Play-Off place.

Mark Wright's men come on the back of successive victories over Southport and Doncaster, and boast, arguably, the league's most potent strike force with last season's Conference top scorer Daryl Clare leading the front line with Michael Twiss, Mark Quayle and Mark Beesley also in contention for a place in a three-pronged attack.

l Don't forget, due to England's game in Liechtenstein, kick off will be at 1pm and not the usual 3pm.