FLEET Town fought back from 3-1 to take Ryman League division two side Metropolitan Police to extra time, before claiming the Midweek Floodlit Cup.

Top scorer Ian Mancey slotted home the all-important winning spot-kick to end Fleet's excellent season with silverware in hand.

See Tuesday's Mail for more details.

On Monday, however, Jewson Wessex league winners Andover took revenge on rivals Fleet Town to square their series of matches and take the Wessex League Cup in a tense final at Privett Park, Gosport.

In their third contest in as many weeks, the two well-matched sides played out a single-goal thriller in front of another 300+ crowd. But Andover's goal a few minutes before half-time was enough for them to record a notable league and cup double, and to leave Steve Beeks' side with only one chance left for silverware, from an otherwise highly successful season.

As the News went to press, Beeks was due to take his side into its final match of the season — the final of the Southern Counties Midweek Floodlit Cup, against Metropolitan Police at Molesey.

But win or lose, Fleet have achieved their main goal — promotion back to the Doc Martens Southern League.

To reach the Wessex League Cup final, Beeks' men had played some of their best football of the season with notable away wins in previous rounds at both Brockenhurst and Gosport.

But against Andover on Monday their goal-scoring form seemed to desert them. Even leading striker, Ian Mancey had a rare blank afternoon, going close on several occasions and crucially missing once from the penalty spot.

The penalty miss, eight minutes into the second-half proved the turning point of the match as, just as in their previous clashes with Andover, it was the Fleet side that finished the stronger. And with Andover reduced to ten-men in the closing minutes, extra-time should have seen Fleet through. But it was not to be.

In a tentative first 20 minutes Andover looked the more threatening, with front-man Andy Forbes going close on nine minutes. At the other end, Andover keeper, Keiron Drake was just good enough to turn away a sharp chance to Mancey, following a great run by star man, defender Rob Marshall.

Andover skipper, Lloyd Webber was then presented with his side's best chance of the half — but poor finishing again kept the scores level.

A few minutes later though, sub Paul Odey made no mistake when he picked up a loose ball and fired in from 20 yards past an out-stretched Ade Creamer in the Fleet goal.

Immediately after the interval, Fleet picked up their game and won their first corner with 49 minutes already showing on the clock. For the next few minutes it was all Fleet, and eventually the pressure brought its reward when Mancey was fouled in the box and a penalty kick awarded.

Unfortunately for the striker, keeper Drake read his kick and brought off a great save to his right to deny the big man what would have been his 45th goal of the season.

Assistant Manager, Dave Skilton then rang the changes, Daimin Ward coming on for a below-par Paul Dadson and then Peter Millington-Lee replacing skipper Gary Stockwell. Both subs immediately enlivened the Fleet attacks as their side went all out for the equaliser.

But Andover's defence held out well, even after they lost Shaun Dyke to his second bookable offence with 12 minutes remaining.

Fleet kept up the pressure. But even with keeper Creamer joining the attack as the game went into injury time, they couldn't break through, and had to settle for second best.

FLEET: Creamer, Ross, Marshall, Murphy, (sub, Musgrove 81 mins), Noad, Stockwell (Millington-Lee, 65), Beeks, Carey, Mancey, Frampton, Dadson (Ward, 55).