So, it's business as usual for Terry Brown, after seeing his side grab another three points at Kingsmeadow on Saturday, courtesy of another clean sheet.

Make no bones about it, this is now championship material from Aldershot Town. When the questions are being asked, the league leaders are answering with confidence and style but the third and final assessment still awaits the champions elect as Canvey Island remain within shouting distance.

I say third, because the trip to Canvey tonight comes after back-to-back wins on the road against opposition that was expected to give the Shots a headache, but still, on Saturday, nobody was getting in their way as the march towards Conference football continues.

And if Brown's side are able to complete a memorable hat-trick in Canvey's own backyard, then the manager may just be able to afford himself a cheeky grin as the efforts of a memorable season appear to be clicking into place just at the right time.

A delighted Brown said after the match: "I said I would be delighted to go to Canvey six points clear and we have managed to do that. What better occasion could we ask for to go there and really put in a top-class performance. If we do that, then we are 90 percent towards winning that title."

In Saturday's encounter the Shots were never in any real trouble, and with first half goals from Paul Buckle - yes, that's three in three now - and Lee Holsgrove, the ship continued to be steered safely into the right port.

Yes, it was untidy and yes, it was hard-fought. But what do you expect when every away game for the Ryman top dogs signals a cup final for their hosts of the day.

In truth Kingstonian offered very little, with the exception of Tim Sills - a target for Brown in recent months who showed exactly why the manager seeked his services. However, the game still had to be won and that was where the Shots were head and shoulders above their opponents.

In a desperately slow start, neither midfield saw enough of the ball and Buckle's strike in the 35th minute was the first sniff of any sort of chance as passes simply went astray all over the park.

The midfielder smashed home a loose ball after Aaron McLean had found Roscoe D'Sane in the box with a teasing cross and despite the lively forward not being able to gather smoothly, the ball was played back into the box by Jason Chewins, which sparked a mad scramble for possession before Buckle pounced.

The finish spoke volumes for the skipper's confidence in front of goal, and how ironic is it that after weeks of searching for a new front man, Brown has been lifted by the goal-scoring prowess of one of his workhorses in midfield.

Sills then very nearly replied instantly for the home side with a headed effort which faded just wide of the post from Scott Steele's cross.

However, in first half stoppage time Chewins' free-kick into the box was superbly headed home by Holsgrove and the cushion was taken into the changing rooms for the break as Kingstonian looked shell-shocked and beaten already.

The home side then upped the pace at the start of the second 45, but Brown's side never looked like wavering under any pressure with Ray Warburton breathing confidence into a solid back four and as a result, Nikki Bull didn't look like being beaten.

Still, the stopper had to be at his very best in the 55th minute when Steele tried his luck from long-range with a powerful curler as Kingstonian briefly threatened.

Then, if the bag was opened in the first half, the prize was pretty much thrown in after Kingstonian were reduced to ten men in the 65th minute.

Peter Barnsby's late challenge on Chewins was enough to convince the referee that it was time for an early bath — when in truth a yellow card would probably have sufficed - and from then it really was plain sailing.

McLean continued to try his luck at opening his Shots account but was off target with both his head and feet but by now it was just a case of running down the clock and Kingstonian continued to fade away.

Sills - so impressive throughout - saw his powerful header cleared off the line by Nick Roddis in the last minute but in a boxing contest the referee would have dragged Kingstonian off the ropes long before then, such was the comfort zone that the Shots found themselves playing in.

Brown added: "If we mange to keep our goals against ratio which we are at the moment, then we are always going to nick one and that was the case again today.

"The second half performance pleased me today. We took the sting out of the game as it was just getting a bit naughty and tense.

"We settled down and killed the game off and it's nice that my midfield are chipping in with goals."

SHOTS: Bull, Hooper (sub Cousins 85), Warburton, Sterling, A. Charles, Holsgrove (Perkins 81), Buckle, Roddis, McLean, Chewins, D'Sane. Not used: Hammond, Browne, L.Charles.

Att: 1,220.