PAUL Moody sent Aldershot Town spinning into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup with another two-goal show which earned praise from boss Terry Brown.

Moody struck identical headed goals inside four second half minutes to roast the Ducks of Aylesbury and set up a home clash with either Lewes or Eastleigh on October 12.

It's no co-incidence that Moody's six goals in six games runs parallel with his team's run of eight consecutive victories.

Saturday was living proof that Moody can muscle up a goal just when the Shots most need it, and with that kind of firepower on board, it's no surprise that Brown's men are making an early bid for league and cup glory.

Brown, for one, was left convinced that his striker coup could well be the final piece to his jigsaw. He said: "The difference between the two sides today was Paul. Aylesbury are as good a side as any going forward in this league but they could not handle his aerial ability at all.

"We were looking to play off him all the time, I know that's a basic way of playing, but it's working so why not just stick to it?

"I was very pleased with Paul's performance and very pleased with Jamie Taylor and Roscoe D'sane, who, between the three of them, caused them all sorts of problems out there.

"I thought, as a whole, we played with a lot more verve and ambition today against a good Aylesbury side, who will always score goals."

The Shots will be slightly relieved that the FA Cup draw has been kind to them once again for the third qualifying round - relieved that a side like Aylesbury doesn't come in the way of them and another glory cup run.

No disrespects to Ryman division one side Lewes or Jewson Wessex Leaguers Eastleigh, who drew 0-0 at The Dripping Pan on Saturday, but Brown will be quietly confident his side will be in the hat for the fourth qualifying round alongside Farnborough, Woking et al in two weeks time - especially if their impressive form continues.

It's been a good week for Brown, fuelled by news from the treatment table that no fewer than five of his regulars had overcome injury to take their place in the starting line-up.

Nick Roddis donned the red and blue for the first time in a month and added a spark to the Shots midfield, while Dean Hooper, Anthony Charles, Moody and Richard Gell all got back in the fold - Gell albeit on the bench for starters.

Although Brown has still to field his strongest available line-up with Lee Charles, Jason Chewins and Paul Buckle still out on the sidelines, this was as good as its got so far this season, and his players didn't let either him, or the 1,815 crowd, down.

They dominated the opening period right from the first whistle with livewire Taylor going close to opening the deadlock with a cross shot which produced a fine diving save from Ducks keeper Adam Wheeler.

Talented Taylor, who took his place in a dangerous three-pronged attack with Moody and D'sane, impressed once again with an energetic display, and for the second week running, capped it with a fine individual goal.

With 28 minutes gone on the clock, Taylor received the ball wide out on the left, turned full back Mark Burgess and made his way in-field.

A delicate cross-field run saw him elude two more challenges before burying a fine 25-yard shot past Wheeler and inside the near post for his third goal of the season.

The Shots continued to press for the remainder of the half and but for Wheeler's efforts in parrying Karl Ready's header and D'sane's scuffed goalbound attempts, they might have found themselves further behind.

Nikki Bull, in contrast, had very little to do, but to smother Kezie Ibe's snapshot after a neat move and watch Dicker's half volley veer just wide of the far post.

Moody, at this stage, was knocking on the door, with Ducks defenders waddling in his wake. His first sniff of goal came eight minutes into the second period, and a good strike it was too, only for the assistant referee to rule out his ‘goal' in the far bottom corner, for offside.

But this game wasn't as one-sided as the chances may suggest. Aylesbury, under the direction of former Hampton boss Steve Cordery, had arrived at the Rec with the intention of giving it a go.

Indeed, when Greg Williams latched onto a rare error from Ready in clearing from Gareth Risbridger and slotted home into the far corner of the net, there could be no arguments.

For a ten minute period prior to the goal, the Shots began to lose their way. So enter Moody to steer them through with finishing of the highest quality.

A corner sequence, won initially by the lightning pace of D'sane, sparked pandemonium in the Ducks area, D'sane whipped in number three from the left flank and Moody was on hand at the near post to steer the ball home with a flick header.

Four minutes later, the same thing happened. D'sane's centre was just a little deeper this time around but Moody was still able to outjump Dicker and guide a similar header in a similar direction with an exact same outcome.

Moody and Roddis both went close to increasing the lead as the Shots played out the final minutes --Roddis, in particular, disappointed he couldn't latch onto John Nutter's pin-point cross.

But it was job done, and with Harrow Borough visiting the Rec tonight (Tuesday, ko 7.45pm), Brown's men are in perfect frame of mind to set the record straight.

Victory would give the Shots their eighth successive league win - which equals the club record set three seasons ago.

SHOTS: Bull; Hooper, A Charles (sub Nutter 89mins), Ready, Cousins, Sterling, Roddis (Gell 90), Taylor, Moody, D'sane, Holsgrove. Not used: Kuhl, Carroll, Cooper.

Ref: S Gagen. Att: 1,815.

l The Shots youth team have the best possible incentive to beat Lewes at the Rec tomorrow night (Wednesday, ko 7.45pm) in the FA Youth Cup. The winners of the tie will progress to the first round proper and entertain Colchester United at a date to be rearranged.