ALDERSHOT Town chairman Karl Prentice is contemplating taking further legal action after the club's former manager George Borg once again turned to a national newspaper to talk about THAT missing £15,000 in the controversial signing of Mark Bentley.

Borg went to the Non-League Paper this Sunday in a bid to "bury the hatchet" with disgruntled Aldershot fans - claiming he was arrested by police on his own doorstep as a result of a complaint made by the club against him.

But journalistic "inaccuracies" as Mr Prentice describes, and comments made elsewhere, has prompted the chairman to consider speaking to his lawyers again in a bid to clear the good name of both himself and the football club.

Controversy surrounding the transfer of Bentley from Enfield in the summer of 1999 first hit the headlines last year when it was claimed the club, through Borg, had given a mystery man — first believed to be Bentley's agent and named only as Mr Buckley — cash in a brown paper bag to the tone of £15,000.

Borg then spoke out in the Non-League Paper last year in a bid to clear his name following his sacking as manager in March 2002, which led to an alleged expenses slur.

But the club, unhappy with the receipt of that £15,000 paid to the unknown Mr Buckley, then referred the matter to the police after the Football Association asked for their version of events as a result of the article.

Borg, who flies out to America next month to coach the US Colleges Under 19 squad before taking up his new post as manager of premier division new-boys Hornchurch, turned to the same paper once again this week to talk about the subsequent arrest at his Grays home, while offering to end the on-going saga with the Aldershot fans.

The article told how Borg was arrested in a dawn raid by five Hampshire police officers over the allegations which had now escalated to theft.

But after lengthy talks and a three-hour stay in a cell, Borg was released and eventually cleared of any wrong-doing through lack of evidence.

The ordeal ended last week with a letter to the Borg family home which thanked him for his assistance and requested that he collect belongings seized from him from Aldershot police station.

"I didn't deserve this and my family didn't deserve it. I don't understand why so much police time and money was wasted and my home was invaded because the people at Aldershot knew where the money went — I never had it," he said.

Mr Prentice, however, is amazed with that comment and, like Borg, wants to bring an end to the matter — even if it has to be through the courts.

He says the slur on the character of both himself and the club throughout this saga has deeply hurt him and his solicitor is aware of these latest developments.

And to add more salt to the already deepened wound, former chairman and club founder Terry Owens then added that he was "vehemently opposed" to the payment in the first place and that such a suggestion of payment would "never had reached the boardroom table" if he had still been chairman.

Mr Prentice said: "I am deeply saddened and amazed by this latest article. There are certain areas that are journalistically incorrect and I am very disappointed by some of the things said in the article to the point where I may take the matter further.

"I cannot comment too much because the matter is still in the hands of the Football Association, but I can live with the fact we did nothing underhand.

"I did not give George Borg the money, us, as a board of directors did. We had no reason not to trust George and I have never accused George of stealing the money.

"We have never questioned the fact that the money was handed over, all we are questioning is where the money has gone.

"We had to go to the FA on the basis of the last report, and then, as a football club, we did go to the police. I did my job as chairman of the club."