TERRY Brown was left disappointed with his new charges as the Shots slumped to their first league defeat under him.

The visitors failed to reproduce the form that had spurred them to an easy win at St Albans on their last outing and were undone by a team that wanted it more.

Kingstonian may be in a bit off strife of the field but put in a gutsy show in front of a little more than 1,000 fans — an attendance which will give the club's ailing coffers a boost.

The fact that there were not more at Kingsmeadow for what was one of the season's eagerly awaited fixtures back in August is down to both team's inadequacies in failing to sustain any sort of championship challenge.

The game certainly had an end-of-season meaningless feel about it.

"I thought we under-performed in all areas and I'm disappointed today," lamented Brown.

"Our midfield never got going and lacked a spark. I don't think we defended their two goals well enough either when our marking let us down."

It was two well-taken headed goals that gave the home side the advantage, leaving Grant Payne's last minute consolation to act as a mere footnote to proceedings.

"I'm pleased for Grant, I thought his contribution was the best today and good reward for some hard work in recent games," added Brown.

It mattered little as the game was over by the time Payne had struck. Kingstonian had taken the lead two minutes before half time when Liam Collin's inswinging cross from the right wing was powerfully headed in by Greg Ball.

Ball stole a march on his marker and arrived at pace to score inside the far post giving Gareth Howells no chance.

They doubled their lead shortly after the hour with a cleverly worked free kick. James Pinnock flighted in a fine cross from the left corner of the penalty box and Matt Eleverson was left free to head in off the post.

There were other chances for Kingstonian but with two of them taken the game was as good as over. Aldershot had made some decent openings of their own but it is a story of their season that most of them were not taken. Chris Allen was a constant menace on the left flank for much of the first half, though he did drift out of the game as it wore on.

Allen's pace proved too hot to handle for K's right-back Billy Mead on a number of occasions and in truth one of his openings should've resulted in a goal.

Allen charged to the by-line on eight minutes but his cut-back was not converted by Payne. A minute later he shot across the face of goal after another run while his free-kick drive was well parried just before half time.

Other than that Owen Coll had two header cleared off the line and Payne could've capitalised on Allen's flick-on in the second after they had gone two goals down.

Payne did get his goal from a long throw-in that was flicked-on, hitting a decent snapshot on the turn that squeezed into the net but it was too little too late.

KINGSTONIAN: Key; Mead, Garman (sub Jones 50), Barnsby, Elverson, Alimi (Royal 66), Pinnock, Collins, Sills, Sadler (Green 70), Ball.

SHOTS: Howells; Protheroe, Nutter (sub Chewins 61), Kirby, Coll, Harford (Watson 61), Carroll, Bentley, Payne, Browne, Allen. Not used: Forrester. Ref: Mr.Kevin Haines. Att: 1,063.

Shots manager Terry Brown pledged to use all the members of his squad as his side enters a hectic period.

Following the Kingstonian game the Shots travel to Purflett tonight and Braintree Town on Thursday. A home game against St Albans on Saturday makes it four games in a week, as the season reaches its now familiar chaotic finale.

Brown is going to continue to assess his squad as the club bid to secure third place in the league. "It's too much to ask players to play every one of the four games so they will be rested and it is an opportunity to learn more about them all," he said.