Nobody could have envisaged the goal feast that Farnborough Town supporters were treated to on Saturday as Graham Westley's side progressed to the second round of the FA Cup with a 5-1 demolition of Harrogate Town.

An away trip to high-flying Conference outfit Southport now awaits the Cherrywood Road side as Boro sit just one game away from a possible Premiership clash in the third round.

Southport, who themselves came from behind to overcome Second Division strugglers Notts County in what has proved to be an early act of giant killing in this year's cup, will certainly be no pushover, and will still be likely to be riding high on a wave of emotion as Boro make their way up the M1 in three weeks time.

They are currently unbeaten at home this term and their league position of fourth place more than justifies that record.

Yet Boro are one of only four sides to come away from Haig Avenue with a point this season, and Westley will be hoping for more of the resilient play which has proved so friutful to Boro's more than satisfactory away record.

Speaking of the draw, Westley said: "There were eight other non-League teams in the hat, definitely through to the next round; we drew one of them. I don't think that we could have asked for more.

"Our record at Southport has been decent in the last two seasons so the draw came as a good omen. And I seem to remember that Patto's Kingstonian team went there and won in round two so I'll have to chat with him on that!"

Boro's cup run never really looked like it would be in any danger of coming to an abrupt end on Saturday. As early as the second minute Rocky Baptiste settled any nerves that there might have been with a cool finish after a neat build-up and a defence-splitting pass from Ken Charlery.

With Chris Piper moving into a central midfield role alongside Danny Carroll due to Gary Holloway being suspended and Steve Watson picking up a slight knock, Boro's attacking play was vibrant and there was a surge of expectancy every time they broke.

As Harrogate went forward in what was to be one of their rare attacks of the day, Nathan Bunce's headed clearance fell into the path of Lenny Piper, who in turn found his brother Chris charging through the middle of the park.

He could have easily been forgiven for ignoring his team mates who were in far better positions than himself but a superb pass to Tony Taggart on the left-hand side was to set-up Boro's second of the afternoon in only the sixth minute.

With little to shout about in front of goal in their league campaign this year, Boro's attacking play and finishing came as slightly more than a breath of fresh air for the home support.

However, in only the 11th minute it was Harrogate who found the net when Colin Hunter smashed home a superb volley from outside the box to pull the Yorkshiremen back into contention.

The away supporters' celebrations did not last long though, and just two minutes later Charlery popped up to make it 3-1 when he slotted home from just yards out after good work by Lenny Piper on the right-hand side of the box.

It seemed like it was one of those days when every Boro player fancied their chances of getting on the scoresheet and when Micky Warner released Lenny Piper in the 21st minute, there was never any doubt once the midfielder had rounded Connor. As Piper stabbed the ball home for the home side's fourth goal, the cries of ‘We want ten' were not asking the unthinkable.

Harrogate simply needed to steady the ship but despite Scott Bonsall coming close with a long-range effort, Boro continued to pour forward in numbers whilst Bunce and Barry Laker coped well with anything that was thrown in their direction.

It was no surprise then to see 4-1 become 5-1 when Baptiste grabbed his second. What was suprising was the horrendous back-pass, which allowed the former Hayes striker clean through on goal by Stuart Sturdy.

By this time, Harrogate were severely depleted, and their only real threat came from the former Barnsley striker, Clint Marcelle, who at least looked like he was prepared to carry the fight to the home side.

Superb link-up play between Charlery and Chris Piper should have created a sixth for Boro in the 38th minute and moments later Baptiste was put through by the impressive Carroll, only to volley wide from an acute angle.

With the game already won, the second half was understandably slightly less eventful. However, Boro still dominated and the only way it seemed that the Unibond side would get anything from the game was if Boro lacked discipline at the back.

They didn't, and they never looked likely to either. Dean Green came on for Charlery, whose fitness level looked as good as it had been all season.

Green came close late on after more good work by Carroll and Piper, whilst Pennock denied Bonsall with a fine save in the dying minutes.

A composed Westley said afterwards: "We did the right thing in getting out of the traps. It's always important to set the scene early and we did that with those two early goals.

"We went out to have a good first 20 minutes, and it couldn't really have gone better apart from the goal we conceded.

"It was disappointing to concede because we didn't get organised around the seconds when we won the header from the free-kick. But over the 90 minutes, we did enough in the first half to win and did a good professional job.

"If you look at the back five, the goalkeeper and the defensive four, they are resilient, difficult to break down and nice and solid. In front of them today we had young legs, a lot of pace and they really couldn't handle it.

BORO: Pennock; Warner, Gregory, Bunce, Laker, LPiper (sub Butterworth 74mins), Taggart (Annon 79), C Piper, Carroll, Charlery (Green 66), Baptiste. Not used: Osborn, Patterson. Ref: A Marriner (Birmingham) Att: 1090.

l FTFC Supporters Club are anticipating running coaches to Southport and are hoping to do so at special rates. Details are to follow.