Terry Brown has ruled out the possibility of popular centre half Karl Ready returning to the Rec — even though he was made redundant from Scottish Premier League side Motherwell.
Brown has ended speculation that Ready may return for the Conference campaign, claiming his emphasis now was to bring in younger players to secure the club's long-term future and with a view to expanding to full time.
The rumour mill began churning after the former Welsh international and Queens Park Rangers favourite was released from Motherwell having not played a game for them all year.
Brown landed a real coup by snapping him up on loan for two months in September and he proved a massive hit with the fans after the Shots won 11 of the 16 games with him in the team.
But the Shots boss has resisted the temptation to bring the 30-year-old lynchpin back permanently — believing he now has enough experienced players in the squad.
"I'm mainly looking at bringing younger players in, so I'm ruling out Karl as I think I've got enough experienced players on board.
"We're looking to build towards the possibility of going full-time, be it the near future or next season," added the boss.
With the lowest number of goals conceded in the league last season, there is no doubt that the Aldershot rearguard is in good shape and Brown obviously feels that the squad should be strengthened elsewhere. Both Ray Warburton and Dominic Sterling had fantastic seasons, while the experienced Jason Cousins and young Anthony Charles never let the boss down when called upon.
Elsewhere, Brown also confirmed that discussions with Farnborough Town brothers Lenny and Chris Piper have come to a temporary end after negotiations regarding personal terms broke down.
Both Pipers have been released by Boro for similar reasons and both are now free agents.
"I would suggest that we will be having talks with Lenny and Chris, but obviously finances are a big issue for us. At the moment they seem in be in telephone number land, but they are two very talented boys," said Brown.
The boss admitted however that the Shots look unlikely to keep hold of Aaron McLean for next season, as a professional club has approached the talented striker.
McLean joined the club in March from Leyton Orient, in his 11 appearances he scored six times, and it was his league hat-trick against Hendon and cup-winning brace at St Mary's, that no doubt caught the eye of the scouts.
"Aaron is to make a decision when he return from his holiday, but I do expect him to move to a professional club," he said.
Roscoe D'sane has as yet not put pen to paper after his extended offer last week, but the young striker is expected to complete the deal with a view to striking up a partnership at the front with new signing Tim Sills.
Brown also speculated on the possibility that some of his players currently under contract will be looking to move on.
"One or two of the boys are contracted for next season, but we've not come to any arrangements as yet.
"There are players who we are looking at resigning and keeping on here, but there are some who may want to move on."
Some of the team returned to training on Tuesday night, and the lads have been told they must attend at least two of the sessions held throughout June.
"It's fairly low-key at the moment, I just want to keep the boys ticking over, and make sure they are not drinking or eating too much really, but they do have to come to two of the sessions," Brown added.